Almost crashed, feeling lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
Neat scenery. I googled Reunion I. Are you from there?

Yes
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
Nice enough video. Was that little fishtail the "almost crash"?

I went on the edge of the road, tires rubbing the small border... At this moment I was like "oh [censored] I'm going straight to the hospital, who will take my children home from school, my wife will [censored] me off, and it Ill hurt badly"

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Close, but the guy on the inside of the turn? What if anything was coming from the other direction?

Nothing was coming in the other direction, 400m+ visibility

As an MSF instructor let me say there is about four minutes of bad riding to learn from in that video. Lane positioning was so improper during most of the time from most of the riders. The experience level appeared to be low.

MHO
Smoky

When I have a motorcyclist tailing me that close off the left rear corner of my car like that, I have the strongest irrational urge to brake check them severely...of course, I don't actually do it, don't want to kill even an extremely rude rider and get my vehicle scratched up as well. Don't people realize they are almost invisible in that spot??

Originally Posted By: Superflan

I went on the edge of the road, tires rubbing the small border... At this moment I was like "oh [censored] I'm going straight to the hospital, who will take my children home from school, my wife will [censored] me off, and it Ill hurt badly"

Similar to how I crashed on February 19th. I'm still at home recovering from broken ankle, broken arm, fractured neck vertebrae. Wearing gear except no overpants just jeans. I similarly ended up on the outer edge of a curve due to gravel kickout on the road except I couldn't stay on the asphalt, fell off the road started losing control and hit a sign post marker for a buried natural gas pipeline and I high-sided off the bike. The below stricken-out Ducati in my sig... tons of safety features none of which made a difference.

I am very glad you avoided crashing. I have to remain in a neck c-collar immobilizer until about May 1st. Trust me, you don't want to wear one of these things for 10 weeks !!

Actually I think I started that curve badly, ended up rear breaking to get it back in the right direction, but the road was downhill so rear wheel locked up and [censored] continued.

But there was no gravel at the beginning, it was my fault.

Interesting reading. Never seen anything like this before, and I clearly recognize myself in the survival reactions mentioned. The more I grow old, the more I have fear.

Interesting reading. Never seen anything like this before, and I clearly recognize myself in the survival reactions mentioned. The more I grow old, the more I have fear.

Fear is healthy. Listen to it.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
As an MSF instructor let me say there is about four minutes of bad riding to learn from in that video. Lane positioning was so improper during most of the time from most of the riders. The experience level appeared to be low.

MHO
Smoky

I just finished an MSF course...and I'd have to agree. The OP may not be long on this earth riding like that.

Group rides, something always happens. A lot of group rides I've been on have a pickup or trailer following along to pick up the pieces.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Fear is healthy. Listen to it.

Riding in fear is terrible advice.

If you lack the riding ability to where you are constantly in fear, you either need to stop riding, or learn how to ride.

Once you have the skill to ride a bike and react instinctively with control and confidence to any situation that may arise, you no longer ride around in "Fear". You will be aware of your surroundings, and have respect for possible hazards (cars, gravel, cliff, whatever) but you won't be in "Fear" of them, because you will possess the ability and confidence to deal with them.

OP, here's the video version of that book I linked to in the PDF.

Yeah, there's some bad acting and subtitles, but it's still good advice.

As your riding skills increase, you also have to hone your skills on how far you can push it, especially on the streets where there are a lot of unknowns. Another key to survival is don't let excellent riding skills be over ruled by bad riding decisions - ie, prevent yourself from getting into bad riding situations where even the best riding skills on earth aren't going to save you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back