SOHC 4-valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the Suzuki G16b engine used in the Geo Tracker and Suzuki Sidekick was a 4 valve per cylinder SOHC.

It's pretty common actually, lots of Japanese 4 cylinders used a SOHC 4 valve setup in the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldn't even list them, but Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan all did sohc 4 valve heads.

I would add that on the J32A1 I had in my '00 Acura 3.2TL, there was a cam lobe for each of the 4 valves/cyl plus the VTEC cam lobe... 5 cam lobes/cyl:

F144677051.jpg

I think this arrangement continues to today...

I recall my Honda fit 1.5L currently.

Honda use "antique" jam-nut adjusted rocker arms to accommodate the VTEC action. I might assume the cheap 1.8l follows suit - but I have not researched.

Jam-nut rockers are an easier for home mechanic servicing than Toyota 2.4L/2.5L simple SUB DOHC that require special tools or dissassemby of the cam box to change tappet shims - plus this design can be noisy and demonstated high wear at cold starts. I recall Toyota went to hydraulic camshaft finger followers with 20 grade oil spec
My Nissan Rogue truck spec QR25DE is inverted bucket DOHC also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize
Triumph Dolomite Sprint was one of the first.

Yes, and the same cam lobe operated the inline intake and exhaust valves... ingenious...:

fs_dolomite_sprint_head.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Some cool stuff:

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/engine/the-anatomy-of-the-427-sohc-fords-answer-to-the-hemi/

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/original-ford-427-sohc-crate-engine-on-ebay-for-65000/

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/updated-ford-cammer-pulls-661-horsepower/

Scroll down on this page to see the original ebay ad: LINK

The cammer was a 2-valve engine.

Ya that was my first thought also. Also as said a bunch of times Honda used that a bunch in the 90s.

Honda loves this setup. The D/F/L/J and some C engines are all 4 valve SOHC, with only a few exceptions (L15B/F20/F22 are DOHC, some early Ds were 3 valve I think). Chrysler did this on the 3.5/4.0. Subaru did this for nearly all non-turbo versions of the EJ. I believe some Mitsubishi engines from the 80s and 90s were too. And don't forget the classic Rolls Royce Merlin from WW2!

The main annoyance with making this setup is the complicated rocker assemblies needed to drive 2 valves from one lobe at the same time. I imagine it also puts stricter limits on valve angles/sizes and port shape when compared to a DOHC. Nice simple timing setup though.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I had a car with a 2-valve twin cam setup... made impressive power rivalling 4 valve cars

Was that any chance a Nord? Or a 8v TS?

Last edited:
Very common and simple but, didn't allow for individual duration of intake and exhaust valve openings. we do anything to get another 0.1 mpg and 2% hp these days but, at the cost of more complication. Ed

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I had a car with a 2-valve twin cam setup... made impressive power rivalling 4 valve cars

Was that any chance a Nord? Or a 8v TS?

8V TS.. a Hemi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back