Leaf spring bushing removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
93 f250, wondering what is the best way to remove the old leaf spring bushings? Ill be putting in poly bushings in their place.

I changed mine on my '96 F250 and it was a project. Tried to rig up a puller using various washers, pipe and all thread, all to no avail. Ended up drilling out as much of the rubber bushing as I could, using a 3/8" or so bit. The rubber can be grabby and I think I snapped one bit. Once I got a hole in the rubber big enough to get a metal cutting Sawzall blade into, I carefully cut through the steel sleeve. Once the steel sleeve was cut through the tension was released and I punched the whole mess out with a cold chisel. I was concerned about nicking the leaf spring eye with the sawblade and I did touch it once or twice. It just left a small polished spot on the spring steel.

Multiply this process times 8 for 4WD and you've burned up a Saturday if not more. I'd get estimates from a good shop if I had to do this again.

That's how I did it and I'm sure there is a big enough and strong enough puller but I did not find one. Lots of Ford truck forums out there and you might find better solutions.

do you thing removing the leaf spring would make it much easier? Itd add to the cost, would need new leaf u spring bolts. But might be worth it to to make removal easier.

I replaced leaf springs and bushings about 10 years ago on my old Jeep Cherokee. My buddy and I struggled trying to get the new bushings into the new springs for hours and finally gave up after making ZERO progress. I took the parts to a local spring shop and for about $30 they pressed the bushings in for me in about 5 minutes. Best $30 I ever spent!

If you remove the leaf springs, yes, I think it would make the job easier, especially if you could use a hydraulic press to get the old rubber bushings out.

By far the easiest way to get the rubber part of any rubber bushing out, is to just heat it up with a propane torch until it starts to burn, and after a couple minutes it will usually just squeeze itself out like a roasted marshmallow. Done it many times, and it's a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back