Refinish or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headlights on my 2008 Accord are getting to the point where the illumination is being reduced due to the haze on the plastic lenses. So the question is do I refinish them or replace them? If I refinish them what techniques and products would you recommend? If I replace them do I go with Honda OEM ($$$) or an aftermarket? Assuming the latter, what is a good aftermarket brand?

Same issue on our 2006 Corolla. Plastic lenses simply cloud up after sufficient UV exposure.

My preference: 1. refinish 2. replace with OEM 3. replace with aftermarket.

Lots of people have been very unhappy with the quality of light from aftermarket head light assemblies. Refinishing is easy, buy a kit, mask off the paint, apply as directed, use some elbow grease and be thorough. Don't skip grits and be certain that each step is complete before moving on. It takes about an hour for both lights but you'll be pleased with the result if you're thorough.

Then apply a UV blocking sealant. Again, lots of choices...

OK, almost 10 yr old car. Get some replacements off EBAY.

I would not get OEM.

You can try refinish and then a sealant. But you may re-do in a year or so.

Can you feel anything with your finger?

I have used the Turtle Wax one.

Where in NY? I will give you my Turtle Wax one to see how you like it.

I redid the ones in my 2001 Jeep GC a few times and then replaced with ones from EBAY.

Last edited:
The last time I was working on a friends old Toyota I noticed that the headlights were extremely cloudy. Since my headlight restore kit was no where to be found, I grabbed some Meguiars Marine and Rv oxidation remover that I had on my garage shelf and gave it a go. I worked really well. I threw a canned clear coat on top and they looked great.

Depending on the cost of OEM replacements, I would probably start by refinishing. I had good results with the 3M kit and a power drill. Take your time. But be warned, if you don't coat them after refinishing, the UV damage will reappear. I've done the headlights on my Toyota Sienna twice for just that reason. After the second polishing, I used U-Pol Clear #1 UV resistant clear coat. Bought on Amazon. It seems to be holding up well. Be sure to mask the entire front of the vehicle as this stuff goes everywhere. Don't ask me how I know this!

Good luck.

Aftermarket lamps are not like OEM lamps.

This car got two brand new aftermarket "certified" headlights. Check out the areas that aren't lit up, especially the big triangle right in front of the car!

The overall beam pattern looks like one big diagonal blob:

And the individual beam patterns are like a Picasso...

There is a guy that blows glass for a living that made glass replacements for friends cars. He shaped them and tempered the glass. He quit because it was not economically reasonable. No one today wants that kind of quality if they have to pay a bit more. I've seen eBay replacements that are junk especially considering the actual performance of the lights while driving.

My 03 4Runner has been through a couple of clean-ups and I'm faced with doing something again.

The ones on the 05 Matrix will need to be done here soon. So many choices, will be part of the spring clean up routine.

Refinish. Saves materials, makes good in-place recycling sense. All systems need maintenance. Just do it
smile.gif

Even just using an old leather glove and the winter road grime from sanding, cleaned up the lights on my old Neon to noticeably improve night vision, so I imagine a kit can work quite well. I didn't worry about getting them like new, just mostly clear for most of it.
You can buy a set of stropping compounds from abrasive to polish for $15 and try them.

Last edited:
Try RockAuto for lenses, replaced the ones on my daughters 08 Cobalt, what a difference, lot cheaper than OEM.

Sometimes you get lucky. Check out this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-Headla...n-/311600120004

About 2 years ago, I bought 07 Civic headlights from them. Could not believe the price, warranty, free shipping, and QUALITY. Made in Taiwan, even came with bulbs. Look like new holding up well in SoCal sun. Fully equal to OEM which I still have. I have since bought about 8 other items and am still amazed how they do it. Big seller to shops and dealers.

I've redone the headlights on every car I've owned at one point or another. Any of the brand name products should be fine, but I found the sanding pads in the Turtle Wax Lens Kit to be a little too flimsy to stand up to anything other than a mild haze. The Calibers lights ate the pads for breakfast.

I'd at least give it one go doing a Refinish, and see how it works for you.

I have had to refinish the lenses in my Fusion a few times over the past few years.

Start out using Sprayway glass cleaner (the stuff in the blue-and-white can). This will actually take off TONS of the yellow haze.

Then, use sandpaper, starting @ about 200 grit to take off more of the haze. Then move up to 300, 500, 800, 1200, 1500, etc.. depending on what you're comfortable with and have available. I eventually ended up @2500 grit.

Then, get some plain old CHEAP toothpaste - the white stuff, like regular Colgate - and a cheap terry cloth towel. Wet the towel, squirt on a big blob of toothpaste, and start rubbing the lens with it like you're polishing chrome. You'll probably have to spray water on it a few times to keep it from gumming up.

Then, spray with LOTS of water to rinse, then spray down with diluted rubbing alcohol if you have some.

Now, this is where you have to decide which direction to take.

1 - If you're willing to properly SEAL it, then do this:

Dry it thoroughly, and spray on a few very light coats of Automotive-grade gloss clear coat (2K grade), letting each coat set up for about 3-5 minutes in between coats. Once the last coat is on, park it so it gets direct sunlight for at least an hour or two.

Should last you quite a while.

2 - If you're NOT comfortable using the paint, then you'll want to hit it with a quality automotive paint sealant or wax, like Meguiar's Ultimate, Finish Kare 1000, etc...

This will last for maybe 6 months and you may have to clean it up a bit after that.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Start out using Sprayway glass cleaner (the stuff in the blue-and-white can). This will actually take off TONS of the yellow haze.

Good to know that about Sprayway since it's one of favorites for glass cleaning. No ammonia so it should be nice and safe for the plastic lenses.

So which spray coat is the best or preferred? Do you need UV lights to cure? Will the sun be good enough? My preference would be to say away from the kits and buy the materials separate.

U-Pol clear automotive spray on amazon was recommended by a bitoger 2 years ago for this. I've used it and it's excellent. I followed his post on 2 vehicles and haven't had to touch them since then. $20 for a can. It goes on different than big-box spray cans so test BOTH COATS on something else before going to the car. I found a medium coat, followed by a *very* light coat to be best. It WILL run if you aren't careful with the 2nd coat. It is not yellowing in direct light.

If people would keep them waxed they won't haze, I wax all my cars headlights monthly after a wash, still look new
wink.gif

Waxing could help keep the finish clean/clear, as long as it's not overly abrasive.

My theory is CAR WASHES.

I don't do car washes, and those cars don't have problems. and I usually don't wax them either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
U-Pol clear automotive spray on amazon was recommended by a bitoger 2 years ago for this. I've used it and it's excellent. I followed his post on 2 vehicles and haven't had to touch them since then. $20 for a can. It goes on different than big-box spray cans so test BOTH COATS on something else before going to the car. I found a medium coat, followed by a *very* light coat to be best. It WILL run if you aren't careful with the 2nd coat. It is not yellowing in direct light.

That must be Trav's thread on headlight refinishing. I'll see if I can find it. Ok, found it for those interested:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ts_#Post3913466

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back