2018 Buick Regal Sportback & Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not crazy about the looks of the wagon, but I like the hatch. Interior seems nice/in good taste as well. Now they just need to make it available with a more serious engine.
smile.gif

This is an Opel design and will be manufactured by Opel in Germany. With GM's sale of Opel to PSA, it's only a matter of time before this platform is truly an orphan with all that implies (depreciation, parts, service, development). May be a nice car, but it will take a brave (or uninformed) shopper to buy one.

Maybe if it's really successful production could be moved here, but as a niche vehicle that seems unlikely.

Kudos for bringing unique product, but my reaction is this is ugly! In addition to the body cladding (which harkens back to the Aztek) they put on a 1958 chrome streak for good measure. Yet no the ports?

I was in the market, I'd consider this, but don't think I could get over the tacky styling.

Originally Posted By: Danh
This is an Opel design and will be manufactured by Opel in Germany. With GM's sale of Opel to PSA, it's only a matter of time before this platform is truly an orphan with all that implies (depreciation, parts, service, development). May be a nice car, but it will take a brave (or uninformed) shopper to buy one.

Maybe if it's really successful production could be moved here, but as a niche vehicle that seems unlikely.

Won't GM dealers service it? Or do you mean once it's out of warranty, parts might be hard to find?

I'm sure the twin Malibu will be introduced at the same time if not sooner. I like the Regal, but even with the 2.0t, I didn't feel the acceleration I was expecting. When I see the prices for Regals, I think the Lacrosse gives you more car for a little more money. Many of the turbos also require premium.
Having said that, I would definitely look at the hatchback.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Kudos for bringing unique product, but my reaction is this is ugly! In addition to the body cladding (which harkens back to the Aztek) they put on a 1958 chrome streak for good measure. Yet no the ports?

I was in the market, I'd consider this, but don't think I could get over the tacky styling.

We could use more 1958 chrome streaks on cars now and then. Darned if I can understand why everybody wants to remove even the tiny bits of chrome we get today from their cars. A good old-fashioned chrome bumper instead of the easily-scratched painted surfaces we get now would be great.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Danh

Won't GM dealers service it? Or do you mean once it's out of warranty, parts might be hard to find?

This. Look at the Pontiac G8 for example, which was also a short-lived captive import. Sure GM "services" it but many of the parts are very expensive and/or backordered for months while they try to conjure some up from Australia. And this typically extends to the aftermarket. For fun I just checked rockauto for G8 parts and they have single-digit numbers of front and rear bumpers in stock (2 front, 1 rear), and they are around $700 each. Tail lights are out of stock. Etc.

I thought any suggestion of the term "wagon" would invoke an image of the classis US stationwagons, and be the death knell for such a vehicle, at least in the US where only cross-overs and SUV's can be sold.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I like the looks of the wagon except for the body cladding.

Yeah that black cladding looks aweful wish manufactures would stop doing this

The Sportback makes me think of the Opel a neighbor drove back in the '70s, but scaled up.
I don't care for the looks of the wagon at all, but I would sure take one for a test drive if I were in the market for a vehicle right now...would probably fit my needs quite well. I'm curious to see performance numbers for the wagon...by raw HP/torque/weight the Regal sedan probably "should" be a little quicker than my FXT, but the trade rags seem to suggest it's a bit slower. Think that the Regal's 2l turbo is a twin scroll like my Subaru's, so they should both spool up fast.

Originally Posted By: ksp7498

This. Look at the Pontiac G8 for example, which was also a short-lived captive import. Sure GM "services" it but many of the parts are very expensive and/or backordered for months while they try to conjure some up from Australia.

Sorry, but not particularly relevant...Hoden, the G8 maker, is going out of business. Opel has a strong presence in Europe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-13/holden-announces-october-closure-date/8181144

I agree OP, it's about time the Americans started making some nice competition for Volvo, Subaru, Audi etc.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: ksp7498

This. Look at the Pontiac G8 for example, which was also a short-lived captive import. Sure GM "services" it but many of the parts are very expensive and/or backordered for months while they try to conjure some up from Australia.

Sorry, but not particularly relevant...Hoden, the G8 maker, is going out of business. Opel has a strong presence in Europe.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-13/holden-announces-october-closure-date/8181144

Yes, but Opel will soon not be part of GM. And, with new PSA ownership, Opel's model lineup will change dramatically to share PSA platforms and drivetrains. Meaning the Regal will be history before too long. The next several years would be fine for parts and service. But 8-10 years down the road...

We always need more wagons. Wagons > all other vehicles including space ships, air craft carriers, and maglev trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back