Oil leaked out /Honda service dept

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the car was driven by my gf after some oil leaked, the oil light came on and there was smoke under the hood. I of course told her to shut off the car asap and we got it towed to the dealer who does the oil changes. The service advisor there that we know said the oil filter gasket went bad, and comped us for the work- but will the engine be ok or could there be problems down the road?

How long did the engine run after the oil light come on? If more than a few seconds, there is probably some damage that won't show up for possibly many thousands of miles.

There are plenty of anecdotal stories either way. Really need to swap the oil, pull the vc and pan at minimum, and have a look. While not a complete answer, knowing the compression values might be useful.

I would have a UOA done and see how loaded the oil is with wear metals. Have this documented on some paperwork for your records. You can stop at Napa for an oil analysis kit. about $15, maybe request the dealer pay for that as well.

Last edited:
Have everything documented at the dealer and monitor for any issues in the meantime.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
But the car was driven by my gf after some oil leaked, the oil light came on and there was smoke under the hood. I of course told her to shut off the car asap and we got it towed to the dealer who does the oil changes. The service advisor there that we know said the oil filter gasket went bad, and comped us for the work- but will the engine be ok or could there be problems down the road?

It is highly unlikely the oil filter gasket went bad. It is VERY likely the old gasket stuck, and the tech did not see it and had 2 gaskets stacked. This was very common on Honda pilots at one time. The dealer is 100% liable.most honda engines are good for 200K and this is the minimum warranty I would accept. Or favorable buyback and replace with comparable vehicle at no cost for you. That would be lower in cost for them and probably better for you.

+_100 on the Used Oil Analysis. Insist that dealer document and give you warranty for life of vehicle for engine failure. They really hove little choice. Best is a insurance policy, so if the dealership sells it remains in force.

Rod

OK first off, does it have a low oil level warning, or just a low oil pressure light?

Second, if just low oil pressure, how far did it run? Like was she on the freeway and drove to the off ramp a half mile? Or was she sitting in traffic and it came on and she pulled right over?

Engines run on oil film w/o pressure every time y9ou start them up. So they can go some time on residual oil. But not far ...

My bet is the dealer has drained the old oil away now, so there is no way to get a UOA I don't think...

There are lots of places where low oil pressure can affect an engine, especially a modern one. Mostly in the cam and valve train areas. Yeah, she could have hit the rods and mains with enough distance, but maybe not... So even if they drop the pan and pop the caps and check, it may not be the whole story ...

I'd have them put new oil and new filter on it. Fully document what they found when it came in. Have the dealer seal the motor and you'all drive it 1,000 miles, and then they do a UOA. If it comes out high in Fe or Al, or both, they need to look at buying you a motor, or at least doing an in-frame overhaul.

You need to retain an attorney. Be polite, but have all the docs at the attorney so they can help monitor the case. We don't know how this will evolve. The UOA can come out OK and the engine can live for years. It's unknown at this time ...

Do you have a Bureau of Automotive Affairs in your area? We do, and it's an obvious for them. They deal in these sorts of things all the time. But, it you don't have one, you and your attorney will have to carry the ball ...

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Stay away from dealership idiots and DIY.

^hes right you know

Bingo. Unless the car is knocking or the motor seized, aside from comping you a free oil change there is nothing else they are going to do. They are not going to cover you for what might happen in the future, unless the car is under some kind of warranty now. If the car is out of warranty, and you have a problem at some point you'll probably end up in court trying to prove it was their fault. Get it documented and keep your fingers crossed that nothing happens later on. If you try to pursue it now you'll need a lawyer, and a problem with the car, the same goes for later on. There are plenty of stories of engines surviving things worse than what happened here, don't lose too much sleep over it. Worry about it if you have a problem, and have your documentation on hand.

I would accept nothing less than a warranty on the engine. There is no telling what damage was caused inside that probably won't show up until later on down the road. They made the error they need to be held responsible. Believe me, I would raise cain until you have something in writing. Get the service manager involved, if that doesn't work go to corporate. I have gone to corporate more than once and wouldn't hesitate to ever do it again if needed.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would accept nothing less than a warranty on the engine. There is no telling what damage was caused inside that probably won't show up until later on down the road. They made the error they need to be held responsible. Believe me, I would raise cain until you have something in writing. Get the service manager involved, if that doesn't work go to corporate. I have gone to corporate more than once and wouldn't hesitate to ever do it again if needed.

THIS!

Just to add I have noticed over the past decade or more that while the competence and quality of any automotive repair shop was always questionable with very few exceptions, it has become much worse now. I've personally experienced repeatedly poor service, and heard from plenty of family and friends. The brutal reality of the situation is this, try and DIY the basic things, and unless you absolutely have to don't go to the shop.
You can ask around, but this is no guarantee either, mechanics come and go out of frustration and while a shop might be good one month it might be terrible the next due to turnover. Don't think that independents are an exception, I have found that many times they are actually worse, and the owners can often times be unpredictable, and unprofessional in the extreme.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC

Comped you for the work? What work? A new filter and some oil, or an engine rebuild? Something in between? It's hard to comment based on "the work".

Just recently I went to a upscale import repair shop that claims to work on exotics as well as the daily driver European imports we own.... I made an appointment. Showed up at opening time, dropped off the car, waited for them to diagnose what I was pretty certain was a wheel bearing. I wait and don't hear anything from them all day. Finally an hour before closing time I call them...the tech working said that they got backed up and couldn't get to my car, we'll bump it up?? (Closing time is 5:30PM) I ask if they want me to just bring the car home and reschedule for a later date when they will have the time they need, I understand things happen. Tech says oh, I'll have somebody test drive it?? (Just earlier he explained as expected that they would use a stethoscope to pinpoint the issue.) I get a bit concerned and figure I will give them an hour and just show up unannounced. Well I show up at about quarter to 5, and instead of the tech working on the car he is writing up a list of other things that need to be done after the shop owner test drove it?!?!? The tech starts going down the list tires, shocks/mounts, clutch, and I stop him
"Now wait I asked you to simply diagnose/make a repair of what I wrote down and this is what you ended up doing?
I was polite but a little annoyed. Then he starts telling me about how my car is something that a lot of people would like to buy since it is in generally excellent condition (I didn't bring the car in to sell it) Owner shows up and begins to interrogate me about the low mileage..."I don't understand why this car has such low mileage" why is that?

Well I can tell you I was completely miffed by the interaction. All the while the tech is still there bending my ear about his career, and making more small talk....I asked politely for my car keys and got the heck out of there ASAP!
Mind you, this place LOOKS very nice, very upscale appearance, almost approaches a middle level modern dealership vibe, big clean looking shop, nice customer waiting area, ect? Everything looks very good to your eye....but the people are bizarre....

To add I am a very reasonable and patient person and never lose my cool, so my whole interaction with them NEVER entered the "ugly customer" realm either. What a WEIRD experience, possibly the strangest one I have ever had with a shop in my 32 years of car ownership.

Modern Honda (fram) filters have kept P-ring gaskets with a stop collar - no way to overtighten.

either NO filter applied not tightened or wrong spec filter.
OR ... loose Drain plug & 710 cap left off.

Last edited:
Ok so I called the dealer, they said the oil filter gasket broke apart or separated. He said did not find any metal shavings in the oil, and the smoke was caused by the oil leaking on the outside of the engine. I am going to pick up the car after work, I will need to make sure I get this all documented before I leave at the very least. I may have to open a case with Honda if I can't get some warranty from the manager.

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who
and instead of the tech working on the car he is writing up a list of other things that need to be done after the shop owner test drove it?!?!? The tech starts going down the list tires, shocks/mounts, clutch, and I stop him

Then he starts telling me about how my car is something that a lot of people would like to buy since it is in generally excellent condition (I didn't bring the car in to sell it) Owner shows up and begins to interrogate me about the low mileage..."I don't understand why this car has such low mileage" why is that?

What a WEIRD experience, possibly the strangest one I have ever had with a shop in my 32 years of car ownership.

Easy, they were looking for the big score. Instead of making $200 on a wheel bearing they were looking to make thousands off of you if possible. See if you would do a long laundry list of items OR scare you into selling them your car for cheap so they could make thousands that way. By buying it off of you for a song then selling it. Pretty easy to see what that was all about from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back