Key fob/key blade is bent

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a 13' Civic, I have changed the battery on it a while back, but now I notice the front of the housing is cracked, and the blade is crooked and feels like it is going to break out of the housing. Any fix for this or should I look into a new key and having it cut/programmed at the dealer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
New key time. Be gentle with this one.

Bingo. Forget the dealer and call a very qualified locksmith. You will probably get a better deal.

I'm not familiar with Hondas, but you're likely looking at a whole new key unless the aftermarket has a replacement case. If there's a replacement case option, you'll find it on eBay or Amazon.

I would check prices at both dealers and locksmiths. The dealer may not be as expensive as you think.

Can you buy just the key from Honda? Sort of like the valet key, just one you can keep on the ring to start it but keep the old fob combo on there for unlocking the doors?

That Civic should come with three keys - two fully functional fob type, and one valet key. If that key is the only one you have, I'd definitely get another one (or two) and quickly.

Yeah, you should be able to buy a replacement "shell." It will come with the black plastic casing and a blank key. You get the key cut to your car and then transfer the guts from the old to new shell. I think the shell is less than $20 and the dealer will probably cut the key for free or close to it.

Yep, bought a new key, and dealer messed up the programming so it was a $40 after they waived the program fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back