Alternator installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install an alternator that looks very similar to this.

On the left-hand side of the picture, there is a black bushing (I assume press fit) which needs to be moved inward about 2-3 millimeters in order to create a tight fit on my bracket. Right now the bushing is sitting flush.

Am I supposed to keep cranking on the bolt to force this bushing inward? I was afraid of stripping the threads on the bolt.

iZp33jW.jpg

Just use a washer or two if you believe the gap is too large. Just make sure you are not getting the pulley out of line with your washer addition.

Tightening should bring it in.

I had a VW that needed an alternator and those guides were too far in and I couldn't put the alternator in. Had to buy one from a different parts store.

That type of bushing is usually not in the correct position on a newly reman'd alternator, or on a brand new one. They should self-adjust to the right depth when you are tightening it down with the bolt. It should move smoothly while you tighten the bolt.

Use some judgement, if it needs gorilla strength with a 3/8" ratchet, then stop and find out what's wrong, otherwise it should be extremely uneventful.

Lube the rubber with WD40 (nothing I ever used works better on rubber) and tap the inner bushing back and forth with a plastic faced hammer until it moves freely. Install the alternator, it will find its correct position easily.

Thank you for all the replies…

My first thought was the washer trick, but it's really not feasible because there is no way to hold the washer in place while trying to mount the alternator onto the bracket. The clearances are so tight, it would just push the washer out of the way.

The bushing on my alternator isn't rubber, it's metal/steel. Maybe some type of penetrating oil ?

Sure that will work, there may be a rubber ring inside between the bushing and case. Now I think about it I have never seen one that uses a movable bushing use metal on metal, it would corrode solid in not time.
The one you picture has rubber between them.

Yes you should feel a small amount of pressure when tightening it, and then steady increase as it seats against the bracket. Usually the new ones one too far in, which makes it a pain in the butt to get onto the motor since its too tight against the bracket.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had a VW that needed an alternator and those guides were too far in and I couldn't put the alternator in. Had to buy one from a different parts store.

You can use a vise or a C-clamp to push the bushing back out. This is sometimes necessary with a used alternator or even putting the same one back on the car.

My Hyundai Accent alt looks just like that. The bushing (in my case a steel one) sits in a groove on the block. It's just for pivoting and does not need to be tight to hold the alternator in. The other bolt does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back