0-40 European formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rugman
I do actually have a little knocking at startup now that you mention it, and also I noticed the oil pressure is really high according to the gauge. I had a 2007 Daytona charger prior to this car and the oil pressure was never that high.
So like I said God only knows what the dealer put in it, probably whatever they had on hand at the time.

The reason manufacturers removed oil pressure gauges from cars is because it freaked laypeople (i.e. the majority of the motoring public) out. It'll be really high (like 70 psi even) on a cold start under load, and you'll have a low of 7 psi at idle when the oil is fully warmed up. And that's normal. It's also why they tell you to drive a cold engine easy, and don't idle it for an hour to warm it up.

Yea that's exactly right, my charger at startup would usually be at 50 psi and at normal operating temp at idle around 20 psi. This challenger has got about 60-70 psi at startup and still has about 50-60 psi at temp kinda high I think.

That's what leads me to believe the oil they put in it may be the wrong weight maybe a 5w-40 or heavier idk.

Yea well I'm not a big fan of any huge multi billion dollar company anywhere that puts the lives of hard working everyday people at risk for the sake of its shareholders !!!!
It happens daily in this country and it [censored] me off badly.
It took me quite a few years to start buying XOM products again after Valdeze horror show, this kind of nonsense should never happen anywhere !!!

Yeah probably best for some not to do business with publicly traded companies or consume any petroleum products.

As mentioned, M1 0W-40 was the SRT specified blend during the ill-fated DaimlerChrysler marriage. Still a fine product in many applications as oils go.

Pretty difficult to not do business with a publicly traded company, especially as far as petroleum goes don't you think !!!

That's what leads me to believe the oil they put in it may be the wrong weight maybe a 5w-40 or heavier idk.

You're determining the pressure from a factory gauge, correct? If so, you're not going to see any meaningful difference in oil pressure between a 0W-40 and a 5W-40 at operating temperature utilizing that type of gauge.

It's got a digital gauge and a traditional needle type.
OBD system has oil psi, oil temp and a whole bunch of other stuff on the SRT

Some European companies produce 0w40 and sell it at NAPA, maybe if you took a look there, you might find a good deal on 0w40 for gasoline engines.

However, I would just buy Castrol black Edge 0w40 because it is easy to get and isn't expensive.

Was reading on some Challenger forums this weekend and got the impression that the move to the lower viscosity PU/PUP 0w-40 SRT oil was intentional for performance reasons. If that's the case then the now weaker viscosity M1 0w-40 FS version would actually be better than a Castrol Edge 0w-40...at least for vehicles not tracked and thrashed. It's unlikely the performance between any of them will be noticeable.

In any case with rebates for this month the M1 and Pennzoil variants are running $12-$13 per 5 qt jug. No deals on Castrol Edge unless you buy the combo filter deal at AAP running this month (see sale/rebate forum).

I don't doubt there is conversation to that end. But seriously, performance differences between two different 0w40's? Is that even measurable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back