Oil change mishap - crush washer missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks!
To make a long story short, as the title says, the crush washer under the oil drain plug fell off while installing said plug. I only found it later while emptying the drained used oil, with the bike all buttoned up.
What do I do now?

Is it leaking oil? If it is, then I would drain. The oil into a clean container and reuse it.

That is of course after you put a new crush washer in.

Get yourself a paint strainer filter to make sure there is no crud in the oil before you pour it back into the crankcase.

If its not leaking I would leave it alone OR get a helper and unscrew the oil plug of the stone cold oil while the helper puts their finger over the drain hole, then put the plug with the washer back in.
The little oil you will lose doing the above I am sure will be no different then if you drained it into a pan.

Buy another drain plug , have it and the washer set up and ready to go, move fast, you won't lose much oil. You'll have a spare plug which is a good thing.

clean the container, then drain the oil, install the washer and put that same oil from the container back in

Last edited:
I had this happen on my honda scooter once. I ended up just removing the drain plug and quickly putting on the washer and putting it back. Of course I wasn't as quick as i had hoped and made a nice mess. I'd say i lost less than 1/4 quart of oil doing it. Just plug the drain hole with 1 hand and use the other to put the washer on the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Buy another drain plug , have it and the washer set up and ready to go, move fast, you won't lose much oil. You'll have a spare plug which is a good thing.

This!

If it's really bugging you, then have the new unit with the washer ready to go and swap it quickly.

No leak - do nothing - get to it next time. Slow leak - drain pan or old newspaper underneath - if you park it inside. Or "Black Death" - aka Permatex Black. Get the area good and dry between drips and apply a good glob all around. Remove at next OCI & install your washer then. I kept an old Honda Accord with a stripped drain plug leak free for a decade with this. This stuff is great to have around.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Maximum-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B0002UEN1U

Id drain oil into clean drain pan and put the washer on. If sump is small, id use fresh oil and repurpose the drained oil in a lawn mower or something.

I had to change drain plugs on an engine once. It's easy. On a cold engine, unscrew the drain plug to the point where it's free but still blocking the hole. Then use your thumb to push it aside, leaving your thumb blocking the hole. Then, when you're ready to put the plug back in, use it to push your thumb aside and screw it in. You might lose an ounce or two but that's about all - cold oil doesn't flow very fast.

just did the same thing during first oil change on my new scoot (190 miles)...didn't see it drop into the drain pan; tightened the bolt a bit more & leaving it til next time at 300-350 miles when the scoot goes in for initial comprehensive service; also changed out oem drain plugs (engine & rear diff) with magnetic drain plugs to pull steel shavings out of the oil & gear lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back