Metal Flakes / Particles in Oil,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
2013 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar V6 - So... the last time I changed the oil, about 4,300 miles ago, I noticed metal flakes in the drain pan. I figured they were from one of my lawn mowers. But, when I changed the oil yesterday, I cleaned the plastic drain tub very well so I would be able to tell if there were any metal flakes from the Jeep. Sure enough, there were flakes. Interestingly, I didn't find many flakes in the filter. The flakes are fine, not very large.. please see the pics.

I have 50K miles. Always changed the oil with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic from the start every 3,500-4,000 miles. This is the longest I've ever gone between oil changes. Always used a genuine Mopar filter. I don't beat on it either. I'm not sure how long this has been happening because I don't usually examine the old oil this closely. I did take a sample that I am sending to Blackstone Labs today; should be interesting to see what they find.

Please let me know your thoughts, experiences, ideas. Thanks!

Which oil viscosity is used? Could be bearings, or piston skirt. My subaru did that and took 20 mikes to die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the first oil change I did on my Honda mower during the break in.

5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum per the manual and oil fill cap.

Look quite big. Try putting a magnet on them. Also try and collect them (and save some of the old oil too) since they probably wont be present in the sample you sent to Blackstone and probably wouldn't feature in the analysis if they were.

Some day you guys are going to quit believing in this thin oil [censored]. Its for fuel mileage only and not for the benefit of the motor. The car companies only need it to live long enough to get out of warranty. Most people only keep a car 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Look quite big. Try putting a magnet on them. Also try and collect them (and save some of the old oil too) since they probably wont be present in the sample you sent to Blackstone and probably wouldn't feature in the analysis if they were.

Yeah id do this and show pictures to your local dealer...

Yo rideahorse, I'm with you on the big, bad car companies dreaming up thin oil to eek out an mpg or two.

I always will hold out for the possibility of Chrysler (FCA) making garbage products.

What would you suggest oil wise?

Also, haven't the oil companies some complicity in whipping up their XW-20 brews? I mean, why do it if they didn't have a partner in crime? Kira

The part that confuses me is why these flakes didn't get caught in the filter. It wasn't out of the ordinary to see a couple of flakes here and there in my 2GR-FE's filter, but nowhere remotely near the amounts shown here.

I have 2 Jeeps with the Pentastar and am very interested in what you find from the lab.
You mention the filter. Have you pulled it apart completely and checked in all the pleats on both sides?

Last edited:
I am not at all convinced that Xw20 grade oil caused any of this. It's highly unlikely that a couple more CST would prevent metal from shaving off the engine. Please.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Some day you guys are going to quit believing in this thin oil [censored]. Its for fuel mileage only and not for the benefit of the motor. The car companies only need it to live long enough to get out of warranty. Most people only keep a car 5 years.

So you can tell by the pictures that it's an oil related problem, assuming there is even a problem to begin with?

Originally Posted By: Why
The part that confuses me is why these flakes didn't get caught in the filter. It wasn't out of the ordinary to see a couple of flakes here and there in my 2GR-FE's filter, but nowhere remotely near the amounts shown here.

To big for the screen? Too heavy to be sucked?

Originally Posted By: biggusblockus
I have 2 Jeeps with the Pentastar and am very interested in what you find from the lab.
You mention the filter. Have you pulled it apart completely and checked in all the pleats on both sides?

I pried open some of the pleats and didn't find much in the way of metal particles. Unfortunately I did not pull it apart completely and I already threw it away. I may reopen the oil filter housing to take a look (it is the element/cartridge/European style filter). When I looked in the housing with a flashlight it looked shiny over the black plastic on the bottom but it was hard to tell if it was the shine of the oil or fine metal particles coating the bottom. I'm wondering if the particles are too heavy to get sucked in to the filter and they just accumulate in the pan until it gets drained.

Perhaps it's from failing/failed timing chain guides?

These pics are from a '13 Wrangler I put an engine in:

CWds2Ks.jpg

6HXjKAq.jpg

Originally Posted By: jceo
Originally Posted By: biggusblockus

I pried open some of the pleats and didn't find much in the way of metal particles. Unfortunately I did not pull it apart completely and I already threw it away. I may reopen the oil filter housing to take a look (it is the element/cartridge/European style filter). When I looked in the housing with a flashlight it looked shiny over the black plastic on the bottom but it was hard to tell if it was the shine of the oil or fine metal particles coating the bottom. I'm wondering if the particles are too heavy to get sucked in to the filter and they just accumulate in the pan until it gets drained.

I believe the filter element gets dirty oil pumped up through the center of the filter, so examining the outer pleats won't show much. I'm amazed at the oil pressure the 3.6 builds from the 2 stage oil pump, l've seen 70 psi on the digital gauge in my 2014 Wrangler with 5w20 oil under normal driving.

Eric, what were the symptoms of the failing timing chain guide?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am not at all convinced that Xw20 grade oil caused any of this. It's highly unlikely that a couple more CST would prevent metal from shaving off the engine. Please.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back