Replacing a remote button

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's been having an issue with her remote key fob for her Civic. It's an Audiovox ELVAT1E remote without the Honda logo, like this one:

s-l225.jpg

The lock button fell out, which makes it a bit difficult to use. The unlock button has also softened over the years and needs to be pushed harder before it works. Any idea of where to find just replacement buttons? I know there are some aftermarket knockoffs, so I don't even care if the buttons look different.

I had something similar happen to one of my old Buicks a while back. Look around on Ebay. You should be able to buy just the "shell" and swap over the "insides".
Less than $10 IIRC

I bought something like that for my friend's Jeep at Amazon at year or so ago. It was a new knockoff case and buttons for the original electronic guts.

I have seen the shells at O'Reilly's. Just put the circuit board in and you are good to go. Not sure if they have that exact one, but worth a shot.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I have seen the shells at O'Reilly's. Just put the circuit board in and you are good to go. Not sure if they have that exact one, but worth a shot.

OK. I checked, and the only part they list is a Dorman remote shell, but for a different type of remote. It's a bit odd since Honda seemed to have used different remotes for this model year. I'll look in the Dorman catalog or I guess on eBay/Amazon.

I could probably also use a similar shell for my Subaru remote. It had a captive ring that fit in the remote's plastic shell when secured. The plastic just wore away after several years and now I just keep it separate from my keychain. The buttons are fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back