Run only E85 - Ever need fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the topic says. I run E85 on 95+% of my fill-ups on my truck. Would I ever need a fuel system cleaner? I am creeping up on 100K and have never used one. Truck is running like a top, but any need?

I'm not sure I understand the need for one ever. But others may disagree. I live in an EPA non-attainment area and all we have is E10.

I used a fuel system cleaner once in my BMW when I was getting a rough idle. It did nothing, and it turned out to be a pushed-back pin in one of the fuel injector connectors. I've never used one in any of my other cars and have yet to see any reason to do so.

But maybe that's just me.

Apparently there is "top tier" E85, and also "other E85" at least that's what Countrymark seems to advertise. If you run "top tier" I'd say for sure no need for any additional adds.

I've never used any fuel system cleaner, and only ever run E10. I also don't buy into the "top tier" nonsense, and I haven't had a fuel system issue in more than 40 years in any vehicle.

Not FSC but UCL. There are several 2 cycle oils that mix with akcohol. I still have 2 gallons of M50, that doesn't leave deposits in a 1:400 ratio.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OPR4H
Not FSC but UCL.

I've always wondered, what is it in the UC that needs L and isn't getting L from the oil?

In the case of ethanol, yoh need to reserach it as a dry fuel (poor lube characteristics), as in LPG, giving more wear, so piston rings, liners and valve stem/guides and seats and fuel injectors will get great needed lubrication, better than a high sulphur diesel with ethanol oil mix.

Just so you know the richer and less volatil air fuel mix, make droplets that wash the oil from these areas, also adding to the problem.

Last edited:
In the case of ethanol, yoh need to reserach it as a dry fuel (poor lube characteristics), as in LPG, giving more wear, so piston rings, liners and valve stem/guides and seats and fuel injectors will get great needed lubrication, better than a high sulphur diesel with ethanol oil mix.

Just so you know the richer and less volatil air fuel mix, make droplets that wash the oil from these areas, also adding to the problem.

I see. Well, I've never used a UCL so I don't know. Maybe I'd get better longevity from my vehicles if I did.

Or are you referring to 100% ethanol as a fuel like you get there in Brazil?

Ive never seen a difference in fuel quality among all the major brands. I have gotten what I believe to be bad gas on a few occasions that I attribute to me going to a non mainstream high volume filling station. I avoid non label gas stations and ones off the beaten path so I get fresh gas, or at least the greatest chance of getting fresh gas.

Ive used techron maybe once, max twice per year. Does it change anything? Doubtful but I like to think the PEA actually has some sort of cleaning/benefit. It doesnt hurt to try it a couple times in a row with full tanks. Best case it helps a bit and worst case, you wasted x $.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've never used any fuel system cleaner, and only ever run E10. I also don't buy into the "top tier" nonsense, and I haven't had a fuel system issue in more than 40 years in any vehicle.

Top tier is real, they have more detergent additives, and have to certify the conformity by regular testing.
It helps for me that top tier is also pretty much always the cheapest gas I can buy, at Costco.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation

Top tier is real, they have more detergent additives, and have to certify the conformity by regular testing.
It helps for me that top tier is also pretty much always the cheapest gas I can buy, at Costco.
If the additives are added when the tanker is loaded who and when do they do the testing?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

If the additives are added when the tanker is loaded who and when do they do the testing?

http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I see. Well, I've never used a UCL so I don't know. Maybe I'd get better longevity from my vehicles if I did.

Or are you referring to 100% ethanol as a fuel like you get there in Brazil?

E85 is dry enough having a low volatility enough, specially without an air thermac valve.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I know a link was provided, but it's done by the additive company and the test results are used by the retailer. It's not much different than small time motor oil sellers that may just piggyback on additive company test results by mixing with a standardized base oil blend.

It doesn't specifically test the fuel, but an additive that's certified by the seller as being used in the required quantities. The additive may not be made specifically for the retailer, although a many are. Chevron develops its own. Costco had Lubrizol make one just for them called Lubrizol 9888. Many are made by big chemical companies like BASF, Alton, or Lubrizol. There are a few small companies that make detergent for retail fuel. If it's a pump fuel additive, there's an "FR" in the "Certified Detergent" column.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/fuels1/ffars/web-

A lot of the big names have nothing. Shell, Exxon, and Mobil list nothing, so they must be buying from someone else despite stuff like Shell's ads showing their chemists working on fuel additives. Shell and ExxonMobil have a joint venture (Infineum) but they don't list a certified detergent additive any more.

There's little incentive for cheating. The fuel terminals aren't going to allow it.

True, no incentive for cheating. The fuel terminal is not going to lose any money. The outlet that wants top tier additive in the fuel pays for it. The terminal is more than happy to sell more of something. More $$$ in their pocket.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Not FSC but UCL.

I've always wondered, what is it in the UC that needs L and isn't getting L from the oil?

Geez, let's see. Fuel pump, injectors, valves...... Does your vehicle lubricate those with engine oil?

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Geez, let's see. Fuel pump, injectors, valves...... Does your vehicle lubricate those with engine oil?

As far as I know the bearings on all my fuel pumps are sealed and never see the fuel, so I don't think that's an issue. And the injectors, well look at the vehicles in my sig. None of them has ever had a problem with worn injectors and all those vehicles ever see is E10 since we live in an EPA non-attainment area. I've had the injectors for the Sienna, the BMW and the Accord out for flow and pattern testing and all came back OK. And the valves? You're saying those need lubrication? How?

I just don't see what the problem is but maybe I will in another 10-15 years or 200,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back