Timing Belt Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the Aisin kit and it had instructions for three different cars and the recommended mileage intervals was "100,000 miles for California" and all other states "60,000 miles"..

Why longer interval for California?

I think this speaks to your manufacturer that they'd put in a less reinforced timing belt as original equipment in the 49 other states to save a few bucks.

I think once you change though, there's no difference for the 2nd belt (unless you're specifically buying a CA belt versus a 49states belt in the options).

Last edited:
What does it say in your owners manual?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
What does it say in your owners manual?
smile.gif

I believe the FSM also states this but only under "severe conditions"

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
There should be a Southern CA one for 20,000 miles since a 2 miles is 2 hours of the engine running.

Good one!!

Agree with eljefino, probably a CA standard to conserve landfill space. Surprised they don't require timing chains or 100% recyclable material...

This may be because there is very little road salt in California, but several states outside California do have road salt.

However, I think it is crazy to mention one state only. If road salt was the problem, the package would at least mention Hawaii, since they don't need road salt.

Evidently California discourages what they consider over-frequent maintenance intervals generally? Toyota recommends longer intervals between spark plug replacements in California for Prius. Even back when my Mazda was new, in 1980, Mazda recommended checking the air-pump belt tension at a certain mileage, except in California.

Last edited:
Isn't this interesting? Cali the state with the most strict emission laws would require a longer time in between spark plugs? Makes me wonder if there is not a need to change them at 100k. You see so many that still look fine at that recommended time of change.

IIRC CA has a legal (?) requirement on manufacturers to make it 100k before certain maintenance has to be performed. I ran into this question in the '90s. My subaru in MD got a TB every 60k. Same subaru in CA got it every 100k.

Don't ever believe some simpleton public official when it comes to something like a timing belt. Look it up and change it when the manufacturer says to. You just can't screw around with timing belts these days. Back in the 80's they were heavier made but not anymore. When they say 60K you WILL replace it at that time or you are playing with fire.
I had an 89 Honda CRX and was getting around to change it at 65K, waiting for spring. On the interstate with absolutely no load on the engine mine went. All I saw was the idiot lights come on and spiked the clutch letting it roll to a stop. Somehow I got lucky and saved the engine with no bent valves. You might not be as lucky.
A fella I know bought a Chevy Aveo off his brother in law. It had around 200K on it and otherwise was a nice little car. Poor schmuck, 3rd time he drove it to work it quit. It completely trashed the engine and he practically gave the car away.
As you can see it's an expensive proposition having one let go. Some cars trash the engine,(interference desigh) while some don't. If you do plan on letting it go beyond the recommended change time at least make sure your engine is a noninterference design that won't trash it if the belt snaps.

So your '89 Honda snapped a belt at 65k but the belt was better made?

The change interval on the timing and accessory belts on my Volvo are 150k.

Toyota indicated 90K now with the later belts, I've seen them (not mine) go twice that and it's often leaking cam seals which oil the belt causing it to jump a cog which brings it to the attention of the lucky owner. With a dry engine I'm not sure how far the OEM belt would go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back