Paint friendly solvent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Looking for a paint friendly solvent to remove the double sided adhesive that held my window covers in place on my truck. I've tried WD-40 and pb blaster to loosen it up before I carefully took a razor blade to remove most of it. I then put on straight ammonia and let it soak as I know it is good at loosening up window film adhesive, however this did not work for me. I've heard of using Goof Off, but that seems too aggressive to me, but I may consider it. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

goof off will be fine. If that doesn't work some acetone will. and if you don't get to aggressive with it it won't hurt the paint either. I just used some last week to remove some overspray from my ranchero paint, and worked great.

Last edited:
Have always used 3M Adhesive Cleaner -- available at NAPA. Will easily remove that stuff.

Gary

Last edited:
3M adhesive remover. Krud Kutter works great too.. just slightly more work.. way better than goof off.

Can't believe good old WD40 didn't work. It does have to soak for awhile. Whatever ends up doing the job, hit the area with some wax after your done.

Took a little bit of waiting and scrubbing but Goo Gone is what I used. It is a citrus based cleaner and because of that I figured it may be a little safer. My brother had some so I grabbed it. I ended up washing the truck afterward since it is oil based and will see how it looks when it dries. Here are a couple after photos.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Can't believe good old WD40 didn't work. It does have to soak for awhile. Whatever ends up doing the job, hit the area with some wax after your done.
Originally Posted By: Bud

I thought WD would have done it but this stuff is stubborn. I had to use a plastic scraper to get get off even with the Goo Gone.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Mineral spirits should be fine. Whatever you use, wax/seal after.

I will definitely use some wax!

Originally Posted By: ammolab
There is an "automotive" goo gone for this purpose. It has worked good for me.

This is the exact product I had used. I will use it again if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back