Rotella T6 5w40, 3033 miles, 2013 Honda Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty good at the moment! I didn't change the oil when I took this sample so I definitely plan to follow their recommendation and wind it out to 6000 and see where we are at that point.

Looks good! What kind of driving do you do? Lots of highway or city? I am also curious why you chose a 40 weight.

I do about 70% highway driving. I used to run 5w30 but my usual was sold out last time I needed an oil change, so I went with the Rotella, which has served me well in other applications before. I got a lot of heat on here and elsewhere for that choice, though, which is why I decided to get a UOA, to make sure I hadn't made a complete botch of things. Looks like it's not a problem, though!

Good metal wear rates.
OCI probably could go beyond 6K quite easily.
Thicker than recommended could probably help improve in adhesive and abrasion wear rate with increased fluid friction in sub 0F ambients.
Thank you for sharing.

Good UOA, nice low metal wear at only 4 ppm Fe in 3k miles. The TBN is at 6.3 so ample left to double the distance.

The zinc levels at 1137 ppm look strong but not excessive. If I recall correctly, an oil formulator here commented that about 1100 ppm zinc is about how much they would add to an oil if not constrained by ILSAC exhaust-cat protecting rules. It's not a problem if your car is not consuming large amounts of oil.

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

6k is easy, you can even stretch it up to 7.5-8k easily. What does OLM show after 3k miles?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Looks good! What kind of driving do you do? Lots of highway or city? I am also curious why you chose a 40 weight.

40 weight is globally recommended by Honda for rev happy versions of K series.

We use 30 weight here in North America due to CAFE standards. It is still good for highway or daily driving, but not the best choice for long term high revving.

I used to use 5w30 in my K20Z3 because I drive it like a base Civic most of the time, but I would have used 40 weight for autocross or track.

Nice! I still have 8 quarts of T6 left that I had planned to use on my Acura Legend when I still had it. Wonder how it would fare in my Ridgeline?
laugh.gif

The report looks ok, 4ppm of iron and 3ppm of aluminum after only 3k in a honda motor isn't bad by any means, but I don't know, I think a PCMO could do the same without doing potential harm to your catalytic converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back