Euro 5W40 oil recommendations for 99 Jeep 4 Liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 99 Jeep 4 liter is currently using Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and I'm happy with it. Easy cold starts and good oil pressure at full op temp. My engine runs quieter on it than it did with 5W30, 10W30, or 0W40. My Jeep gets driven hard, but not often. I only drive the Jeep approx 2300 miles a year. I change the oil (and filter) every 2.5 to 3 years, and I live in a damp climate most of the year. Winters are cold. Summers are hot.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 is expensive. So I looked at cheaper diesel oil alternatives, but a few sources talked me out of that based on their theory (or fact?) that diesel oil detergent packages aren't targeted for gas engines and won't keep my engine as clean as a Euro gas oil would. So they recommended gas Euro oils for my Jeep, and also for my 97 Buick.

However, I want to explore my options for 5W40 Euro oils that are available in my local area. Lower cost would be nice, but that might not be possible (other than occasional sales). I'm more interested in protection/quality.

What do you think of the following 5W40 Euro oils?
(available in my local area)

Valvoline Synpower MST 5W40 (Is this a Euro oil?)

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40

Kendall 5W40 Euro

Car Quest Euro 5W40

Quaker State 5W40 Euro (is this related to Pennzoil Euro?)

Liqui Moly 5W40

Pentosin Pento High Performance II 5W-40

The Valvoline and Pennzoil sometimes go on sale, but I've never seen them cheaper than $7 quart, but I've heard there's better sales in December or January. I'll have to watch for sales next Winter. I don't know if those other brands go on sale.

P.S. - I also have access to Chevron Supreme 5W40, which I think is a Euro oil?

It never goes on sale and I'd have to buy a case of 12 from a local Chevron truck stop oil supply depot.

Is it worth it? Is there anything special about this oil?

Why wouldn't you consider Castrol Edge HM 10w40 like I've suggested in your other thread(s)?

It'll be cheaper and easier to find than half of the brands you mentioned. Plus it's a high mileage A3/B4 oil.. this is a European spec.

You're really over-thinking your selection hear. If you want a syn 40 weight, Mobil 1 0w-40/ 10w-40HM or Castrol 0w-40 from Wallymart is the ticket. 5w-40 HDEO syns like Delo are great as well. HDEO oils work fine in gas engines contrary to what you heard. $7 a qt. is too much. There are less costly options that will protect the 4.0 just as well.

Last edited:
In one of the numerous other lengthy threads you already started on this topic, you said:

Originally Posted By: Carlostrece
OK, I will pick one.

What happened to that promise?

Why are you so worried about this? There are probably thousands of jeep engines running around 3 qts low,10k plus miles on the cheapest oil and filter the quick lube had on sale.

And who said a diesel oil wont keep it clean?

Pennzoil Platinum Euro is expensive??

It's on the shelf at my local WM for $22.47! I just picked up two jugs to try in our 150k Odyssey. The viscosity is only slightly higher than the Euro L 5W-30, but the viscosity index is 183 on the 0W-40!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Why wouldn't you consider Castrol Edge HM 10w40 like I've suggested in your other thread(s)?

It'll be cheaper and easier to find than half of the brands you mentioned. Plus it's a high mileage A3/B4 oil.. this is a European spec.

I tried 10W40 briefly. My engine did not like it during cold starts in Winter. I want 5X oil at cold start.

Also I'm not a Castrol fan. I used to use Castrol in a motorcycle and I had lubrcation failure that caused my camshaft lobes to wear out. I avoid Castrol after that.

I appreciate your helpful intentions though.

I tried 10W40 briefly. My engine did not like it during cold starts in Winter. I want 5X oil at cold start.

Which 10w-40 oil did you try? What was the ambient temp at cold start?

SubyRubyRoo...

I'm on the West coast where Chevron Delo products are cheap; Pennzoil, Valvoline, Kendall, and Mobil products are expensive; Shell is cheap but slightly more than Chevron.

Quaker State is hard to find here.

Car Quest 5W40 Euro is available and cheap. Does anyone know anything about that oil?

"I used to use Castrol in a motorcycle and I had lubrcation failure that caused my camshaft lobes to wear out. I avoid Castrol after that."

Castrol makes fine products. The oil brand had nothing to do with your lube failure. That's akin to the "Pennzoil made my engine sludge up" nonsense that the ill informed spout.

Also I'm not a Castrol fan. I used to use Castrol in a motorcycle and I had lubrcation failure that caused my camshaft lobes to wear out. I avoid Castrol after that.

Sockpuppetry aside, you're going to have to do better than an anecdote like this. That simply won't fly here.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It was years ago. It's hard to remember. I think it was Chevron Supreme 10W40 ISOSYN. It was Fall and temperature was in low 40Fs. It was a low mileage Jeep 4L with around 10 to 15K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It was years ago. It's hard to remember. I think it was Chevron Supreme 10W40 ISOSYN. It was Fall and temperature was in low 40Fs. It was a low mileage Jeep 4L with around 10 to 15K miles on it.

Might want to give another 10w-40 a try. From my own experience (different engine from yours obviously), I went from Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 to Castrol Edge HM 10w-40, and at 30F it starts up the same as before.

Apparently Chevron Supreme 5W40 has been renamed Havoline ProDS Euro 5W40.

Napa is selling it for $7.50 quart. I'm not sure if that is regular price or a sale price.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Sockpuppetry aside, you're going to have to do better than an anecdote like this. That simply won't fly here.

No, but that's this reincarnated former member's only gig.

Kschachn, what do you mean by that? Are you implying that I'm a former member of BITOG? I've never been a member of BITOG until last week.

I found the oil I want. (Chevron) Havoline ProDS 5W40. I think this maybe the same oil formerly known as Chevron Supreme 5W40.

It's product data sheet specifications are excellent, IMO. This Euro oil has same same performance and protection properties as the others that are locally available to me, plus it says extended drain interval.

I'll use it in my 99 Jeep, 97 Buick, and a few other older cars.

Napa's regular online price is $7.29 quart. When Napa has a sale I might be able to buy it for $5 a quart.

At this time (AKAIK) Napa is the only online and local brick and mortar auto store carrying it, but I think more stores will carry it in the future.

Why limit yourself to European oils when there are excellent HDEO oils in 5w40? Every time someone uses Shell Rotella 5w40, they get great results in both gasoline and diesel engines. Also it isn't expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back