2015 WRX Stage 2... oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've scoured for some decent recommendations for brand and type of oil that I should use when moving to stage 2 in the next week or two but can't find solid info. It'll include a TBE, chargepipe, ebcs, tgr/egr deletes on 93 pump gas.

I live just 5 minutes from work so I take a lot of short drives without the oil heating up completely but I do take the occasional spirited drive. It's not too cold here in Kentucky. I think we only saw the teens a couple times this winter.

Redline and T6 are the brands I see most but I'm lost at to what weight/type would be best for me.

I owned a WRX before my GTI. The owners manual in mine said there are conditions where a thicker oil was necessary. I think you'd be better served by using something that meets the Porsche's A40 spec such as Castrol Edge 0W40, avilbe at some, but not all Wal-Marts for cheap when in 5 qt jugs. If you choose Rotella, use a 5W40. Pennzoil has a 0W40 which would be better than Rotella. Shell makes both Rotella and Pennzoil oils btw.

If it were my car, I'd use any of the readily available 5W-40 HDEOs (Rotella T6, Delo 400 LE, etc.).

I'm leaning towards T6 now. Would I use 5w40 over 5w30 because of the increased power? What's the benefits of 0wXX over 5wXX?

Hopefully you're getting professionally tuned and will be able to data log to keep an eye on the health of your tune.

HDEO has always been recommended for turbo EJ engines, but I'm honestly not sure what FA20DIT's prefer, especially at stage 2. I've run T6, GC 0W-30, M1 0W-40, and now M1 EP 5W-30 in our stock FA20DIT. I'd probably do the same if tuned.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Hopefully you're getting professionally tuned and will be able to data log to keep an eye on the health of your tune.

HDEO has always been recommended for turbo EJ engines, but I'm honestly not sure what FA20DIT's prefer, especially at stage 2. I've run T6, GC 0W-30, M1 0W-40, and now M1 EP 5W-30 in our stock FA20DIT. I'd probably do the same if tuned.

I'll definitely be getting a protune from Corbin Johnson in Indianapolis. Next time I speak with him, I'll ask about oil and see how his opinion compares to this and others that I've read.

I'm leaning hard towards T6 5w40 to start. I'll get some logs and analysis during the firstime interval to see where everything stands.

5W40. My WRX ran great off Rotella T6 also. But seeing as yours is a DI engine and will be tuned, definitely avoid the weak sauce "energy conserving" 5W30. It will be sheared + fuel diluted to [censored] and turn into a 0W20 in no time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mits3kgtvr4
Cobb AP?

Yea. I just assumed it was implied.

What a strange response? Why would it be implied? Is that all your tuner works with?

Same boat here. I am just going to aim for anything Porsche A40. So a lot of the European oils recommended here. Having said that, Motul or Redline would be great choices that technically do not carry that spec, but are high performers.

Many FA20DIT's are sticking with GF5 oil while those that prefer a higher HTHS oil are going with ACEA C3 oils in hopes to mitigate intake valve deposits.

Subaru Japan is still recommending high SAPS Euro 0W30 and 5W40 oils, so maybe high SAPS-phobia is unwarranted. I would probably pass on RT6 and run a C3 5W40 like X-clean 5W40. Or perhaps Red Line Euro-Series 5W40.

Lots of blown modified FA20DIT engines on nasioc that ran GF5 oils and even some builders/tuners are just running GF5 oil. There are misconceptions out there that the FA20 was designed for thin oil although Subaru Japan even allows 5W40 in the BRZ.

TGV/EGR deletes should make a huge improvement with the fuel dilution problem seen in stock DIT's. User hotdog on nasioc had a huge drop in fuel after the EGR deletes.

Last edited:
What did you go with? I don't understand the fascination with T6. I think people see it's "add-pack" and get a chub, when that is only one small part of the much bigger picture. There's a lot that doesn't show up in a VOA test. EDGE 0W-40 seems like a no brainer for your application in terms of performance and value.

Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back