Pumped bypass filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did something dangerous, had a thought.
Any reason why I can't tap the oil pan down low, and run an electric pump to circulate oil to a bypass type filter?
I can easily plumb it with a bypass between the supply and return. Or add a second, small cooler.

Last edited:
Well, you absolutely most certainly can, if you have the clearances and the skills, but why bother? I tapped oil under pressure for my bypasses by putting a tee into the block where the OEM pressure sensor goes. It doesn't have to be in a convenient location, but I would imagine most all engines have a similar location.

That does sound like a good idea. Hose routing would be easier too. First thing I though of was automatic transmission fluid bypass (hose from pan to pump/pump to filter/ filter via hose back to transmission pan. Could mount the pump and filter mount on the inner frame rail.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
I was thinking 12v gear pump. Bronze gears should last.

I do not know of any that are continuous duty. Brushed DC motors won't last years of continuous duty like that. Even the (relatively) really durable ShurFlo pumps can't run continuously.

It's also another parasitic loss... let's say it draws 5 amps. That juice comes from your alternator, which places a (albeit, small) load on the engine. No worse than driving with your headlights on, but it still costs gas to make the power.

OH, BTW... I've thought of this in the past. I've got enough room to mount another power steering pump, and they don't use too much power, though the GPM is far too high... it would need a really big pulley to slow it down. It would also need a custom housing, though - since they were never designed to suck oil several feet up from the bottom of the pan. Maybe best to run it off of the driveshaft instead.

I run two cs144 Alts, juice isn't an issue. My concern is running the pump when the oil is cold and thick. 15-40 gets thick. eBay has relatively cheap pumps, China [censored] of course. An adjustable fan switch to trigger a relay, the cost starts mounting. I'll need two more npt taps into the pan also.

Last edited:
A steering pump with a bypass off a "T" and restriction at the filter would work. Plumb the line back into the reservoir. All my mounting space is taken on the engine short of one idler pulley. Someday I need a pump for my winch, and I may need to run it off my t-case PTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back