Interesting- new E15, pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving by the past couple of weeks, I've wondered why my local Kwik Trip has had regular and midgrade for 5 cents difference (2.15/2.20/2.69). I went today to fill up, and saw that they got rid of midgrade in favor of E15 88 octane. And the top line on the sign (2.15- E15 88 / 2.20 E10 87 / 2.69 91 Ethanol Free) was the E15, while the E10 87 was actually $2.20 (5 cents more than the other places in town). I like the company and their stores but they are always the first to raise prices and the last to lower. Now what I think will happen is they will "match" everywhere else with the E15 price and their E10 price will be more than everywhere in town. They're where I get most of my fuel because they are always busy and it's top tier. Now, I'm curious what they'll do pricing-wise and whether people will buy it. On the base of the pump was the E15 sticker, saying that it's only for Flex fuel vehicles or vehicles newer than 2001. An interesting move: there isn't much of a market for 89 octane, but I wonder who's going to buy this.

I thought E15 was for cars 2007 and later but some looking into it says 2001 and later?

Also using a read out form the alcohol sensor in my Impala my fuel is between 3 - 7% alcohol even on E10. Not sure how accurate it is.

I'd probably skip it myself, even if you did the math (I don't have the patience) I can't imagine you save anything with the slight ding in economy. It's funny to see this because you can't even find E85 where I am, even a station listed to have it no longer does.

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense. Ethanol is an octane rating booster, and the price of ethanol now is around $1.60 a gallon.

In order to make 91 without ethanol, they need to use a lot more of the higher fuel "streams" and without the aid of ethanol to meet the octane rating.

Wow. E15 in my area has run 5-10 cents a gallon cheaper than E10 regular for quite some time. Sounds like they are playing numbers games with you in your area.

I wonder how many people will use E15 not knowing how it can hurt their cars because it's cheaper.
mad.gif

I think they have to label right on the pump clearly. If people don't choose to read then that is their problem.

I'm not planning on using it, but I bet a bunch of people will (accidentally or because it's cheaper) though.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
I thought E15 was for cars 2007 and later but some looking into it says 2001 and later?

The manual for my 2013 Honda Fit says to use no more than 10%.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I wonder how many people will use E15 not knowing how it can hurt their cars because it's cheaper.
mad.gif

Hasn't hurt my vehicles. Been using E15 for almost two years now. Mostly because it was the best value at the pump. Offered the same mpg as using E10, but was 5-10 cents cheaper a gallon. Back when gas prices were in the stratosphere, my pickup lived on E85 for over a year because the price was over $1 a gallon cheaper and even with the lower mpg, still was cheaper to use on a cost per mile basis. And yes, my 2006 Cadillac is not flex fuel, but has gotten E15 with no problems at all. Fear of the unknown is causing folks to shed reason. Most E15 fuel is not even close to 15%, just like most E10 is not close to 10%. Even E85 varies from 70% on up. I would be willing to bet that most E15 is no more than 11-12% ethanol. They just can't exceed the 15% parameter.

And yes, the E15 pumps are clearly labeled on both the pump and the handle on what vehicles it should be used in.

Any stations that sells E15 here are always 10 cents cheaper then whatever regular 87 E10 is selling for. The E15 uses a bright orange nozzle with a label on it showing only for vehicles made after 2001? I haven't used it and I haven't seen anyone using it but it just starting to pop up in the area.

My owners manual (2016) specifically states that E15 fuel will adversely affect the emission control devices and vehicle systems, and that the damage is not covered by the warranty.

There's not much difference in the wholesale price of the components.
Today RBOB is $1.68 / gal and Ethanol is $1.59. Back when petroleum prices were much higher, ethanol had a much larger price advantage. Now the advantage is primarily due to taxation.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
There's not much difference in the wholesale price of the components.
Today RBOB is $1.68 / gal and Ethanol is $1.59. Back when petroleum prices were much higher, ethanol had a much larger price advantage. Now the advantage is primarily due to taxation.

I would think it's more complex than that. RBOB has to be mixed with ethanol in order to make an acceptable road fuel. The octane rating for the base fuel to make this E15 88 has got to be lower than RBOB, so wouldn't the cost likely be lower?

Per the local terminal, RBOB here is 83 octane. Blend with ethanol at 10% (E10) and you have 87 octane. Blend with ethanol at 15% and you have 88 octane.

Remember that the E15 is the max ethanol content. Even E85 is at most 70% ethanol in cold weather blends here... 88 octane means it can be slightly less than E15 and still meet the octane as advertised...

The RBOB in Ohio is 84 octane. The local refineries brew 84, 87, and 91. I've seen the delivery sheets, 9 parts RBOB, 1 part ethanol.
Haven't seen E15 around here yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back