I 85 fire, Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelled that road many times. Folks in that area will have it rough for awhile.

My son works in Atlanta. He called me at 7:15 this evening and told me he had passed it just before it collapsed. I don't watch the local news so I was unaware that it happened. I only go to Atlanta as I drive through it to get somewhere else. That certainly won't be happening anytime soon.

The news says there are STILL motorists stuck on 85 right NOW, and they won't be home anytime soon!

Also if you watch the video you could actually see the northbound motorists turning around and heading back south on the northbound lanes. Quite a sight, it seems like this is as bad as the big ice storm fiasco in 2014.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Travelled that road many times. Folks in that area will have it rough for awhile.

Me too. Not my favorite stretch of the 85, that's for sure. This will be a big mess for a while.

Unfortunate that steel was used there instead of concrete. The upside is if they are allowed to block/reroute all traffic fix should be good.

Has anyone heard about what caused the fire? The pics I saw this morning looked like the asphalt road service was burning. That would need some sort of accelerant, Maybe a gasoline tanker wreck..

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Has anyone heard about what caused the fire? The pics I saw this morning looked like the asphalt road service was burning. That would need some sort of accelerant, Maybe a gasoline tanker wreck..

Three homeless persons are in jail for this crime. (We had thought Uncle Billie was back in town) {General W. T. Sherman)

Weird! Looks like some tires or fuel or something of a petrochemical nature with the thick black smoke.

But the police/fire department have no idea of what is was!

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Unfortunate that steel was used there instead of concrete. The upside is if they are allowed to block/reroute all traffic fix should be good.

It will be steel no matter what. Cement beams have more steel in them than concrete. For longer spans you need all steel.

Originally Posted By: daddi
Weird! Looks like some tires or fuel or something of a petrochemical nature with the thick black smoke.

But the police/fire department have no idea of what is was!
This is one among many things so frustrating about "news". Their "cluelessness".

Now said a repeat crackhead, put a chair on top of a shopping car and set it on fire. OK..but that won't cause huge, billowing clouds of black smoke. Steel reinforced concrete doesn't produce that when burning. PVC pipe was mentioned in the beginning. I've personally used a propane torch on PVC pipe to heat it enough to bend it. A propane torch is pretty dam hot..much hotter than a burning chair, yet ignition didn't occur.

So what really happened?? A HUGE chunk of this story is missing. I suspect a CYA cover-up until the story is finalized. Not only is this going to be expensive. It's also going to be embarrassing.

In a couple of weeks (Sat afternoon before Easter) I'll be driving through Atlanta, I75>>I85>>I75, on the way to Nashville...

I know it's too soon now to advise, but I would appreciate it a lot if someone could update the thread and let me know if I should go AROUND Atlanta (I-285) rather than through mid-town.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
In a couple of weeks (Sat afternoon before Easter) I'll be driving through Atlanta, I75>>I85>>I75, on the way to Nashville...

I know it's too soon now to advise, but I would appreciate it a lot if someone could update the thread and let me know if I should go AROUND Atlanta (I-285) rather than through mid-town.

Thank you.
Depending on where you are in FL, take the scenic route through AL and then hop on I65.

I live in the Atlanta area. People are using I-285 heavily because of the collapsed bridge, so it's slow moving.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: madRiver

It will be steel no matter what. Cement beams have more steel in them than concrete. For longer spans you need all steel.

Steel beams/girders have no fire protection. Concrete beams have an obvious protection layer to the interior steel reinforcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back