How To Purge Air From A Grease Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think a nice gun like that would have a bleeder valve. The 3 cheap ones I have got valves.

Just crack the bleeder valve loose at the top, don't remove completely, makes it hard to put back in and then pump it a few times, then tighten it and pump it a few more times and it should start pumping. I actually have a grease gun that seems to lose prime and regain it for some reason. I have four different guns and it's the only one.

When I twist the body onto the head I only turn it on about three threads. I then release the plunger which forces the air past the threads. This way you know how many threads are started and you don't risk any surprises by backing the body too for off of the head. It also assures the air is going to escape as the threads are as loose as you want to try to make them. Just don't forget to tighten it up all the way after grease starts to pump.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
You'd think a nice gun like that would have a bleeder valve. The 3 cheap ones I have got valves.

After seeing the video, there doesn't seem to be a real reason for the bleeder valve.

Originally Posted By: penguin
When I twist the body onto the head I only turn it on about three threads. I then release the plunger which forces the air past the threads. This way you know how many threads are started and you don't risk any surprises by backing the body too for off of the head. It also assures the air is going to escape as the threads are as loose as you want to try to make them. Just don't forget to tighten it up all the way after grease starts to pump.

That is all I ever do.

I got halfway into a tube at work yesterday and my gun stopped pumping. Thought it went fast, so I took it apart. It still had grease, but behind a ginormous air pocket. (???Dunno how that happened unless Lucas is trying to save money by sending half full tubes) It took awhile with the bleeder valve to get it cleared. This method should be much faster if it happens in the future.

My favorite way is on guns with the loading port thingy. You just depress the little center ball with a screwdriver and wait for it to starting leaking grease!

My experience falls into the 'Once in a Lifetime' category. My 30 year old grease gun recently started acting as if it were empty. I checked and it had plenty. I unscrewed the bottom and it was difficult to remove. I soon realized that the rubber plunger had apparently absorbed grease over the years and was swollen. The spring could not push it up to keep pressure on the grease. I held the rubber plunger against the side of a grinding wheel, and ground down the diameter, being careful to keep it round and with a sharp lip on the edge. I screwed the bottom back on, released the spring - problem solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back