Chinese Autolite spark plugs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older Autolites worked well in the jeep 4.o. Went to buy new ones and they are now made in china. I know that china can build good stuff but imo their QC seems to be spotty.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The older Autolites worked well in the jeep 4.o. Went to buy new ones and they are now made in china. I know that china can build good stuff but imo their QC seems to be spotty.

Thoughts?

Michelin builds tires in China. They are built to strict QC standards. It depends how much over sight the factory has. Granted none of the Chinese Michelin tires ends up in the U.S. (to the best of my knowledge) but I don't hear anyone on here stating to boycott Michelin tires. Quite the opposite here-there is a love affair with them.

Can you say "Double standards!"

Enough said!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Michelin builds tires in China. They are built to strict QC standards. It depends how much over sight the factory has. Granted none of the Chinese Michelin tires ends up in the U.S. (to the best of my knowledge) but I don't hear anyone on here stating to boycott Michelin tires. Quite the opposite here-there is a love affair with them.

Enough said!

LOL....sure they do. You can place ANY "standards" you want into the process but the culture of
compromise (graft corruption, bribery, ect) in the Chinese business environment still overwhelms them.

I've seen plenty of name brand products from China that are TERRIBLE where you once would have been certain that the name meant a certain ability to excpect decent quality (when made in the US or Europe).

I've had bum USA-made and Mexico-made Autolites before. The last set of Autolite plugs on my 4.0L, about 3 years ago, was 2 USA or Mexico-made and 4 China-made. It worked fine. I switched over to NGK Vpower a year ago. No difference that I could feel.

Until I have a bad experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use Autolites again, regardless of COO. But if the cost difference is only a few cents, I'd just go with the 4.0L OEM plugs - NGK or Champion.

I've got quite a few older American-made Autolite spark plugs that I will use before buying their "new" Chinese-made spark plugs.
After that, I guess I'll switch to a different brand.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I didn't see the word boycott anywhere in this thread. Does Autolite have a factory in China or are they reboxing?

It's unclear.

The quality of assembly from China is variable. The Taiwanese contract manufacturers like Foxxconn, Quanta, Asus, etc. will not tolerate poor quality from their Chinese factories. But some just cheap out and give specs to a Chinese company and hope that it works out or just buy something off the shelf and relabel it. That's when you get stuff like "hover boards" catching on fire.

I use only OEM plugs. Six Champion copper resistor plugs do not cost much more than Autolite, and you get exactly what the vehicle came from the factory with.

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who

Enough said!

LOL....sure they do. You can place ANY "standards" you want into the process but the culture of
compromise (graft corruption, bribery, ect) in the Chinese business environment still overwhelms them.

I've seen plenty of name brand products from China that are TERRIBLE where you once would have been certain that the name meant a certain ability to excpect decent quality (when made in the US or Europe).

Now this IS THE RHETORIC I was expecting......

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I use only OEM plugs. Six Champion copper resistor plugs do not cost much more than Autolite, and you get exactly what the vehicle came from the factory with.

What automaker still specifies Champion as OEM? I remember the double platinum plugs from my dad's '96 Regal were AC-relabelled NGKs. Even Chrysler was starting to use NGK in some applications.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

What automaker still specifies Champion as OEM? I remember the double platinum plugs from my dad's '96 Regal were AC-relabelled NGKs. Even Chrysler was starting to use NGK in some applications.
my 02 jeep had champions from the factory. I prefer the autolite douple platinums in it.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

my 02 jeep had champions from the factory. I prefer the autolite douple platinums in it.

my 05 neon, and my brother's 07 Dakota both came with copper core champions.
heck, the neon even called out the champion part number on an under hood decal..

I have some new autolites in my car and they work as well as any other plug. I don't know where they were made...

Thoughts?

Enough said!

Where did anyone say boycott?

I just see an attempt to create drama. If you don't understand the difference between a local factory making an item for its local population, from offshoring to make something cheaper, but hardly passing a savings along to the end user, then it's more like trolling...

So to something more relevant to the OP than tires, do you deny that the OP is accurate in saying that the Chinesium part has poorer QC? Is the part substantially cheaper to the end user than a domestically made part? Similarly, is it substantially better quality or in terms of value added features, from a first world variant sold at nearly or exactly the same price point?

I'm by far not a China expert but I've been there (Mainland) 8 times now and have seen from dirt floors on products that dont really matter to clean rooms that rival anything else in the world. When a foreign company specs lowest price, well you get that. When they spec highest quality, well you get that too. But that goes for any country, including here in the US. People used to bash Japan the same way they bash China now.

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who

Enough said!

We gave that all up for cheaper prices. We are all to blame for it. I pay more for stuff built in Canada or USA but most ppl dont care or pay attention to where its made...it also doesnt mean much cuz made here now means assembled here...which means parts are still from China..so it changes nothing.

I can't think of any good product coming from China, except the tenderized cat served at the local buffet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back