2000 Lexus ES300 oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm looking at a 2000 ES 300 with 248k on it. It has an oil leak at the front and rear valve cover as well as a leak at the oil pan gasket that I can visibly see. When looking from below, there is a leak towards the rear of the engine opposite from the oil pan while the car is parked and has been off for a few hours. Is this the rear valve cover leak or is there another source that I should be looking at as well?

Thanks

Make sure they're all torqued properly before moving on to tearing things apart. When a gasket shrinks with age a gap develops which can weep. A retorque can stop the leak or cut it way down. Happens a lot of the I 4 valve cover gaskets.

At that mileage I would assume you are going to find several leak points. It's too bad the engine couldn't be cleaned, then ran to see of they are just leaks or weeping.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Make sure they're all torqued properly before moving on to tearing things apart. When a gasket shrinks with age a gap develops which can weep. A retorque can stop the leak or cut it way down. Happens a lot of the I 4 valve cover gaskets.

The es300 is a V6 not a 4 banger.

The rear valve cover gasket isn't fun.
But with 248K it should be cheap! Like $1000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back