Signs of battery overcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed my battery's cells need to be replenished every 3 months with distilled water.
Is this a sign of overcharging?

Vehicle is a Tacoma with optional towing package consisting of upgraded 130Amp alternator and 27F battery.

I've read police cruisers have 130amp alternator to power all their electronics. I don't have any electronics to power and don't tow.

Does battery electrolyte depletion indicate that the alternator could be overcharging the battery?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes it can be. Swelling, over heating and leakage are other major signs

Thanks.
Next logical question: how can I prevent overcharging?

If you know of one, bring vehicle to a shop that rebuilds alternators. They have oscilloscopes and other test gear and knowledgeable people.

Newer cars are using the ECM to control the alternator vs internally in the alternator.

Start checking ground connections. An open ground is a signal to the voltage regulator to turn up the charging. This can lead to all kinds of problems.

Ok thanks. For what it's worth my "intelligent" Schumacher battery charge indicates 94% charge.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Ok thanks. For what it's worth my "intelligent" Schumacher battery charge indicates 94% charge.

Yeah that doesn't tell you much. Not a big fan of Schumacher chargers, they are known to over charge batteries on some models. I had one that would bulk charge above 16 volts! More appropriate chargers will hold around 14.7v until amps taper

Only ones I've seen at WM are Schumacher. Spend the money and get a Solar Prologix charger. Napa has them on sale and if you wanna save a buck there's also Amazon. I have a Schumacher SnS (blue) while trusty I will need to retire it. Has no manual voltage selection (needs a booster battery if dead battery goes below 6v), no start override and towards the end of the charging cycle will overvolt the battery close to 16v. Picked up a PL2520 which comes with realtime voltage readout, heavy gauge battery cables and a handy boost function.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which ones do you like esp avail at Walmart?

None at Walmart, have to order online and I'd recommend a Noco or Pro Logix like the pro Logix PL2320 oe noco g7200

if not being overcharged its either a lead antimony(deep cycle)or it is reaching end of life.
most are lead calcium today but real deep cycle are antimony.

The voltage allowed, the time spent at higher voltages, and battery temperature will have the biggest effect on water usage.

And overcharging does more than just use more water, it causes positive plate erosion.

As batteries age they will use more water, but usually this is only apparent on batteries that are deeply cycled and recharged properly. If they are not recharged properly, then one will not get to notice water loss as they will be replaced before that becomes necessary.

A voltmeter and battery temperature sensor, both on the battery itself, would go a long way to determining if the battery in question is being overcharged, but I would certainly clean the connectors on the back of the alternator and the main battery to firewall ground and battery to engine ground and engine to frame ground, if one exists.

Simple visual inspection of grounds is not adequate. Unbolt, wirebrush mating surfaces and threads shiny, retighten, and perhaps smear some grease over it to inhibit oxidation.

Caig deOxit D5 or D100 is a wonderful contact cleaner. Other electrical connector cleaners do nothing about contact oxidation, but are great for flushing out detritus and old crusty dielectric grease.

Too many people tend to thing the presence of dielectric grease means the contacts inside any given connector are still just fine. It does not. Stuffing an electrical connector with grease then connecting it might be able to part the Pin socket mating area, or reduce it substantially, so less surface area is making contact and passing the required current. As a result there is more heating and more oxidation on that part of the limited surface area.

I'd clean all grounds, and put a voltmeter on the battery terminals visible to driver when driving. A voltmeter in a 12v outlet on the dashboard will read voltage similar to the battery terminals, but not the exact same. it depends on how much current already is on the copper between battery and 12v power port. But the 12v powerport voltmeters are convenient and can give a better idea than an Analog dash gauge where one cannot differentiate between 14 and 14.5v.

Hot batteries should get reduced charging voltages.

A cheap DMM does it for me. That plug does looks a bit more convenient though.

OP Frequently blown light bulbs is a common sign of overcharging.

Once you start adding water on a regular basis you can bet the acid strength is too low. This will cause more gassing and it becomes a vicious cycle. Is there acid on the top of the battery that needs cleaned up regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back