Torque Pro App and Smartphone constantly in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone leave a smartphone mounted in car all the time using Torque or a similar app? Does it work well? Even when left in July heat? Looking for a cheaper alternative to Ultragauge. But do want something that will last. The Ultragauge MX1.3 is 89.95 plus bracket and shipping. Bafx obd2 dongle is $22. Not sure of cost of cheap smartphone(gophone or similar. Plus windshield mount.

The ultragauge will be a better option for permanent mounting.

I do however have an ELM27 Bluetooth OBD reader that I leave connected. When I want to check something, I just pull up the Torque app and look.

I guess it depends on what you are doing and what you are reading, but a car that is maintained well isn't going to fluctuate OBD values too much. I use Torque to monitor trans fluid temps and after a week of constant monitoring you get an idea of what it does. If I was towing or off roading, though, I would rig up a way to monitor constantly.

Hi I used the same combination of Torque/Bafx but I find it connection drops out many time.
I would go with Ultragauge wired type for constant use.

I'm planning on going to a semi-permanent mount situation in my Fusion.

I've been using my Galaxy S3 phone in my car, with the Torque Pro app, and my ELM27 BT adapter for some time now, without an actual mount - just sitting it in the coin drawer as I drive, with moderate success. It works okay, but if I take a turn with any speed, the phone falls out.

Now that I have a new phone - Galaxy S7 Edge, which I LOVE - I'm planning on wiping the S3 of as much as possible, and using it as a dedicated Torque Pro/Fuel Monitor/My CarFax computer. To that end, I've been looking at numerous mounts for the car. Once I have one picked out, I plan to keep the S3 mounted in it while I'm driving in the car.

I say 'semi-permanent' because theft is always a possibility, and leaving the phone mounted visibly in the car when I'm not around it is just asking for someone to break in and steal it.

These are the mounts I've been considering going with:

WizGear Universal Stick On Dashboard Magnetic Car Mount

WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount

Now I HAVE been also considering a more permanent mount situation, but if I do that, it's going to have to be something of a custom job, where I can literally mount the phone IN the dash. This will, of course, require some custom fabrication, and I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to commit to that.

I will probably keep my old android phone that is not activated, but still works in my truck that still has the torque pro app on it that connects right up to the ELM27. I can't get it to work with my IPhone using a different app. I don't know what is required to use an IPhone on Bluetooth/OBD2. Do I need a dedicated adaptor, and app to use an IPhone?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Traction
I will probably keep my old android phone that is not activated, but still works in my truck that still has the torque pro app on it that connects right up to the ELM27. I can't get it to work with my IPhone using a different app. I don't know what is required to use an IPhone on Bluetooth/OBD2. Do I need a dedicated adaptor, and app to use an IPhone?

There is something about iPhones and those dongles using Bluetooth, you'll have to look into it. It may not apply to all iPhones. I bought a wifi dongle for my iPhone, what phone do you trying to use?

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea as it is affecting your car to be in diagnostics, even if just slightly.

On my 1998 Lexus, when torque does a scan, once in maybe 10times, I can feel the engine stumble for a rev. One time using torque this caused my engine to stall out. If this happened while on the road, I consider it more dangerous than what it's worth.

Of course I'd imagine on a new recent car, the brainpower of the ECUs and other related chips are probably much better than on my 1998, but it's still potential for electronics miscommunications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

There is something about iPhones and those dongles using Bluetooth, you'll have to look into it. It may not apply to all iPhones. I bought a wifi dongle for my iPhone, what phone do you trying to use?

I have a 6s. I'm guessing I have to by a wifi adaptor to use an IPhone to scan? One more thing I miss about android.

Originally Posted By: Todari09
Hi I used the same combination of Torque/Bafx but I find it connection drops out many time.
I would go with Ultragauge wired type for constant use.

This. The handshaking is rocky for me, too.

Originally Posted By: Skid
I tried the BAFX, and it was garbage. This one worked well: ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX
I bought the ScanTool MX last summer. Much faster that the cheap one I had. Has never dropped out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

I have a 6s. I'm guessing I have to by a wifi adaptor to use an IPhone to scan? One more thing I miss about android.

I think I've found the answer to my own question after a couple searches. I'll just need to keep using my old android phones, and the cheap ELM327 adaptors since the purchased torque app pro still works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I don't think it's necessarily a good idea as it is affecting your car to be in diagnostics, even if just slightly.

On my 1998 Lexus, when torque does a scan, once in maybe 10times, I can feel the engine stumble for a rev. One time using torque this caused my engine to stall out. If this happened while on the road, I consider it more dangerous than what it's worth.

Of course I'd imagine on a new recent car, the brainpower of the ECUs and other related chips are probably much better than on my 1998, but it's still potential for electronics miscommunications.

Must be something either specific to your car, or just specific to older cars.

I leave my ELM327 adapter plugged in my Fusion 24/7, and have my Galaxy S3 connected to it every day when I commute back & forth to work. So far, I don't see any difference in terms of engine behavior with it plugged in and connected vs. removed.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
..Now that I have a new phone - Galaxy S7 Edge, which I LOVE - I'm planning on wiping the S3 of as much as possible, and using it as a dedicated Torque Pro/Fuel Monitor/My CarFax computer..

I am using the original Galaxy S for just this one purpose in one of my cars. Works very well. In fact, I don't use Androids as phones, but they make excellent gadgets. I am sure that your S3 will be even better and serve you for a long time in this role. And you don't need to worry about batteries.

Apple is known for its own adaptation of BT protocols, in other words they mangled it and made it proprietary. WiFi adapters are reported to be fine with Apple products.

I can't speak to the OBD Link LX, but I CAN say that the Bluedriver is made to work with the Bluedriver app. Not sure how well it works with Torque/Torque Pro.

The one I got was very similar to this one , and I've yet to have a problem with it.

Anyone used or familiar with the OBDLink MX vs. the OBDLink LX? The MX supports GMLAN and MS-CAN. What all does that entail? What apps would be able to take advantage of those protocols. Thanks.

Well, I got my mounts, and I've put the vent-mount in. Really works great. It's simple, clean, and holds on tight to both the vent and the phone. It came with a couple different thin metal plates, one of which I've stuck to the inside of my phone's back cover. As far as I can tell, the mount has a couple of neodymium magnets inside it, and it really holds the phone well.. once it's on there, it doesn't budge unless I pull it off.

Here's the mount by itself:

..and here's the phone 'stuck' to it:

So far, I haven't been able to bring myself to leaving the phone in the car when I'm not in it. I unplug it and take it with me when I go inside, and then plug it back in and re-'stick' it when I come back out to the car.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Anyone used or familiar with the OBDLink MX vs. the OBDLink LX? The MX supports GMLAN and MS-CAN. What all does that entail? What apps would be able to take advantage of those protocols. Thanks.

Ford/Mazda/Volvo vehicles via Forscan, if you use MX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back