Question about viscosity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the chance to look at the manual for my 2004 Hyundai Sonata and it says to use 10w30. Someone in the other thread I started suggested that I should use 5W30 vs 10W30.

IN the manual it shows that the 5W goes to a lower temp than the 10W - it makes sense and understand this. But it showed the 30 part going to higher temps in the 10W than the 5W.

I thought the 30 part would be the same (assuming all things being equal). Or is it because at 5W you're starting out at a thinner oil and the modifiers can't handle the heat?

I've seen charts like this before but always used the recommended oil so never paid attention to it.

Thanks!

I think I'm correct in saying you can get heavy 30 weight oils and lighter 30 weight oils. I suspect Hyundai are assuming the 10w30 will be a heavier 30 weight than a 5w30.

I still find the idea of a 10w30 oil odd. We just don't get them in the UK.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
I think I'm correct in saying you can get heavy 30 weight oils and lighter 30 weight oils. I suspect Hyundai are assuming the 10w30 will be a heavier 30 weight than a 5w30.

True, i have never seen 10W-30 oil on the shelves anywhere ever.

In the other thread someone stated that they have been using 5W oil in the 60's - never heard of it before but I will be the first to say I know very little about cars. I thought 5W and 0W came from synthetic oil bases ... obviously I'm wrong!
smile.gif

0W oils are pretty much all full synthetics, in the US you will find some conventional 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils, 10W oils are mostly conventional in the US and in Europe they are most always Synthetic blends, 15W,20W,25W are almost always conventionals, except for some expensive boutique synthetic oils.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

True, i have never seen 10W-30 oil on the shelves anywhere ever.

Take a look at this: https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/10w-30-motor-oil

A bunch from all the different manufactures. Maybe it's popular in the States as I would think if it's a rare motor oil there wouldn't be so much of it!

15+ years ago, 10w30 was much more shear stable than 5w30 so would have done better in high temps. Today they are about even.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
15+ years ago, 10w30 was much more shear stable than 5w30 so would have done better in high temps. Today they are about even.

OK, so it was correct for back then but isn't anymore as oil has improved.

Good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I had the chance to look at the manual for my 2004 Hyundai Sonata and it says to use 10w30. Someone in the other thread I started suggested that I should use 5W30 vs 10W30.

IN the manual it shows that the 5W goes to a lower temp than the 10W - it makes sense and understand this. But it showed the 30 part going to higher temps in the 10W than the 5W.

I thought the 30 part would be the same (assuming all things being equal). Or is it because at 5W you're starting out at a thinner oil and the modifiers can't handle the heat?

I've seen charts like this before but always used the recommended oil so never paid attention to it.

Thanks!

Those temp range vs viscosity charts haven't been updated since they were conceived. A 5W30 contains more VI improvers than a 10W30 and a thinner base oil. Since those oils were prone to shearing permanently you'd end up with a too thin oil before the oci is up when using 5W30. It shouldn't be a problem anymore, except some oil grades are shearing on purpose.

What you need to take away is that you need enough viscosity at high temps and high shear, called HTHS viscosity.

Perhaps the assumption was made that at higher ambient temps the oil will run hotter, and the shearing of VII and the volatility could be an issue.

Another issue is that the 5W or 10W part is really irrelevant to the climates that most drivers experience. Just take a look at the temperatures, which are subzero. All the other stuff is just generalities. It's possible to make a 0W-30 that's higher viscosity at 70ºF than a different 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Thanks!

Those temp range vs viscosity charts haven't been updated since they were conceived. A 5W30 contains more VI improvers than a 10W30 and a thinner base oil. Since those oils were prone to shearing permanently you'd end up with a too thin oil before the oci is up when using 5W30. It shouldn't be a problem anymore, except some oil grades are shearing on purpose.

What you need to take away is that you need enough viscosity at high temps and high shear, called HTHS viscosity.

Is this HTHS number the cSt number at 100 C? Or is this number usually not easily found? Specifically speaking the oil that was put in was Motorcraft 10W30 and since I don't change my own oil and trying to use the Ford quick lane the oil being recommended is the Motorcraft 5W30. On Ford's website there is 0.4 cSt difference with 5W30 being higher at 10.8. I am proabably looking at the wrong number that that is the highest temp they are showing. Of course I can be overthinging it as well!

What's also interesting is that the CP at -30 C is higher on the 5W vs the 10W ... again probably overthinking it.

Generally a 5W30 is less shear stable than a 10W30.
While in use,Hths of sheared 5W30 is generally lower in relation to a typical 10W30.
Duration of boundary lubrication in a 5W30 would be larger, to that of a 10W30.

Thanks!

Is this HTHS number the cSt number at 100 C? Or is this number usually not easily found? Specifically speaking the oil that was put in was Motorcraft 10W30 and since I don't change my own oil and trying to use the Ford quick lane the oil being recommended is the Motorcraft 5W30. On Ford's website there is 0.4 cSt difference with 5W30 being higher at 10.8. I am proabably looking at the wrong number that that is the highest temp they are showing. Of course I can be overthinging it as well!

What's also interesting is that the CP at -30 C is higher on the 5W vs the 10W ... again probably overthinking it.

No it's not the Cst at 100°C, and sadly you can't even deduct the HTHS viscosity from that for a multigrade oil. At least not with any accuracy but it's likely 10 cSt oil will be thinner than 12cSt oil. You'll have to find the HTHS viscosity on product data sheets, but not nearly all brands disclose these for all products. The Cst viscosity is of an oil that isn't stressed, they just measure how long it takes to drain through a hole. High shear viscosity is for an oil being worked between 2 sliding surfaces. Typically measured at 150°C as that is how hot the oil gets inside main and big end bearings during normal operation.

Luckily there are usually some good clues to what the HTHS viscosity range will be from the certifications the oil carries: ACEA ratings are divided into hths viscosity ranges and Sulphated ash ratings. Ilsac rated oils tend to sit around 3.0 cP, just above the minimum required by the SAE viscosity ratings.

How cold does it get where your car stays? 10W30 is likely just perfect for you unless the temps drop below -25°C

Thanks!

No it's not the Cst at 100°C, and sadly you can't even deduct the HTHS viscosity from that for a multigrade oil. At least not with any accuracy but it's likely 10 cSt oil will be thinner than 12cSt oil. You'll have to find the HTHS viscosity on product data sheets, but not nearly all brands disclose these for all products. The Cst viscosity is of an oil that isn't stressed, they just measure how long it takes to drain through a hole. High shear viscosity is for an oil being worked between 2 sliding surfaces. Typically measured at 150°C as that is how hot the oil gets inside main and big end bearings during normal operation.

Luckily there are usually some good clues to what the HTHS viscosity range will be from the certifications the oil carries: ACEA ratings are divided into hths viscosity ranges and Sulphated ash ratings. Ilsac rated oils tend to sit around 3.0 cP, just above the minimum required by the SAE viscosity ratings.

How cold does it get where your car stays? 10W30 is likely just perfect for you unless the temps drop below -25°C

It was suggested to use 5W30 only because the Ford Quick Lane dealer charged me an extra $10 for using "non standard Ford oil" . I have used Jiffy Lube in the past but decided to try the Quick Lane to see how it was compared to Jiffy Lube so when it comes time for our new to us car oil changes I know if I should go there. I was surprised that they charged me the extra $10 and someone suggested getting 5W30 which is standard Ford oil; living in Jersey I see very little 0 F or 100 F days.

I was asking this question because I saw the diagram in the manual, the car doesn't get driven much these days but the oil still needs to be changed every so often and saving $10 could be a good thing assuming I'm not causing damage to the engine. Although at 13 YO (but only about 75,000 miles) I wonder how much longer it'll be around. It was supposed to be our "trade in" car but my wife's car needed a rear seal which was going to be expensive so that got traded in instead. I am wondering if the rear seal went because of maybe inferior oil as the car only had 111,000 miles on it, another reason to try Quick Lane vs Jiffy Lube.

Thanks to everyone who answered!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back