AutoZone censoring low rating reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you like reviewing products? I do because I believe my opinion matters and that people should know whether a product is good or not.

I've noticed that when I write 4-5 star reviews on AutoZone, they show up. But when I write 1 star reviews, they don't show. I do get an email saying that the moderator approved the review, but when I look at the product I reviewed, my review doesn't show. Only the positive ones do.

This happened more than once. No wonder they don't get many product reviews. Advanced Auto does a better job at it.

I once left a negative review for a distributor cap that was manufactured mis-shapen, and the moderator refused to allow my review to go through on the basis that I never actually installed and used the part. The fact that the only reason I could not use or install the part was because it was mis-shapen had no influence on their decision.

I even traced the bottom of the original distributor cap and the new one side-by-side to show them it was wrong, and they were not moved. I did not give up on the subject. Accel accused me of installing it on the wrong engine, and I proved that was not the case. When I would not let it go, Autozone sent me a $50 gift card rather than approve my review.

I asked what would happen if I were to install the cap and just let everything break, and they told me that my review would still not be allowed since intentionally installing a part I know to be wrong would not follow as a manufacturer's liability. I tried debating with them the circular logic of them having admitted the product is bad, but still refusing to take the review, but they were unmoved.

Advance is better, but you have to read those reviews, because some people leave negatives for really dumb reasons.

I believe that a lot of places will hold back negative reviews, I think it's to give the impression that the product or service is top notch. I had concrete work done and the person got glowing reviews and he did less than stellar work.

I hear even Carfax is bogus. It is very possible that you are not seeing the truth about a car. Someone just to me this but can't confirm or deny this.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's their domain and they pay for the servers, they have every right allow whatever they want to show/not show on their website. The same right that this very forum is exercising.

That's a pretty convoluted way to think. They don't have the right to mislead their customers. If they don't want to allow negative reviews then don't have a review option in the first place.

It's their domain and they pay for the servers, they have every right allow whatever they want to show/not show on their website. The same right that this very forum is exercising.

What is the whole purpose of reviews then? Most companies allow all reviews, unless something is inappropriate. Accepting only high ratings and misleading customers may be their "right", but it's unscrupulous.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

That's a pretty convoluted way to think. They don't have the right to mislead their customers. If they don't want to allow negative reviews then don't have a review option in the first place.

There is nothing convoluted about it. When you apply for a job, do you put down in your resume how many times you were late, sick, absent from work with the previous employer? Do you dress the same for a job interview as you would every other day?

Don't patronize them. I personally won't go in our local AZ because all they have working there are know nothings waiting for going home time.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Don't patronize them. I personally won't go in our local AZ because all they have working there are know nothings waiting for going home time.
eek.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: salcuta88
Do you like reviewing products? I do because I believe my opinion matters and that people should know whether a product is good or not.

I've noticed that when I write 4-5 star reviews on AutoZone, they show up. But when I write 1 star reviews, they don't show. I do get an email saying that the moderator approved the review, but when I look at the product I reviewed, my review doesn't show. Only the positive ones do.

This happened more than once. No wonder they don't get many product reviews. Advanced Auto does a better job at it.

You just gave me another reason to avoid AZ!

I stopped buying from AZ after they sued a local mom & pop company named Cyclezone. Even though AZ doesn't sell any products that CZ sells I guess they thought they own the word "zone". AZ lost and CZ kept their name but I still won't step foot in AZ just on principle.

I love my local Autozone. 10 percent military discount and I buy enough there for all the cars(spoken friends and family) I work on that I get the 10 percent employee discount most of the time.

Having said that every review I read I take with a grain of salt, unless it is an actual defect. I never know if someone is just unhappy or they have an axe to grind.

My local Napa on the other hand...horrible...

I remember when I had to get a water pump for the Trans Am. When I did the cam I dropped the pump it and broke it. Went in to get one, they looked it up and said...
"250 dollars that can't be right no water pump for a SBC is that much"

I had to explain the LS1 to them (This was 2006). Pump comes in and the guy is like
"Sure doesn't look like a water pump I think it is wrong, you ordered the wrong part."

I thanked him and remind him this was not 1962. After it was together I went back to show him and he was like
"Huh would you look at that. The reason I hate new cars." Never went back.

Never had that problem at Autozone or O'rielly's

I think most parts places are hit and miss. When you find a good one you stick with it.

Originally Posted By: salcuta88

I've noticed that when I write 4-5 star reviews on AutoZone, they show up. But when I write 1 star reviews, they don't show.

You need to write your reviews with your wallet.....and avoid that chain completely.

Left a review for this part about a year ago, saying that it doesn't fit my ES300. Review was removed, and this part still shows up for the ES300 (as well as a number of other nonfitting cars as you can see from the reviews that weren't removed.)

In fact the review from 9/11/2015 used to have more information in it about what car it was that wouldn't fit (a Kia). That additional information is completely gone from the item page reviews, but clicking on his username shows the post.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Left a review for this part about a year ago, saying that it doesn't fit my ES300. Review was removed, and this part still shows up for the ES300 (as well as a number of other nonfitting cars as you can see from the reviews that weren't removed.)

I can see it now...

Does not fit 3zve 1990 Toyota 4Runner

DO NOT BUY for 3zve. The part does not fit with the Delphi (or OEM) fuel pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can cook the books all they want, customers will soon discover a reason not to go back. Three or four guys promoting the lone female employee and waiting for the going home time.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Neg reviews can be left at Yelp and other 3rd party review sites.

We're talking about individual product reviews, not the store/business as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back