Any Physical Therapists or Orthopedic's on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem. The fracture boot the orthopedic practice put on me Friday the 24th is murdering my foot by way of a pressure point just forward and up slightly from the inboard ankle bone. Causing a raw spot that is going to become ulcerated if no correction is applied. Problem is, I telephoned the practice and all they will do is refer me to the physical therapy side of their organization which is a different name but they have a business relationship (had to sign a paper acknowledging that I was aware as patient that they have a business interest in the neighboring PT/OT outfit in same bldg). Nurse said they can't try a different brand fracture boot (it's a DeRoyal) she can only write up an order that will let me go to their PT partner where a therapist can "maybe put some extra padding in it..." But extra padding will only increase the pressure since it is caused by the way this thing fits, there is some hard point on inside of the hard plastic brace that is causing the spot on my ankle. You can see and feel it behind the thin poly foam liner when boot is off.

Besides, I'm already signed up with a competing PT/OT practice that I like a lot and did the OT for my arm fracture recovery. I want to go there and in fact have an appt with them Friday to start the ankle and leg on range of motion and etc stuff (non-weight bearing). Physical Therapist I worked with there was awesome, and hope to continue with him.

Just like to know some options on this.

So I'm asking if anyone here might be a pro or otherwise know of a different brand fracture boot I can buy off the internet or a local med supply place that is better than DeRoyal. The ortho practice refused to even consider pointing me to another brand.

Oh no sorry to hear that. I know that Dwcopple is a physical therapist so you may want to send him a PM. Hope he can help.

Can you post a picture of it? That may help with suggestions as well.

P.S. have tried adjusting this thing numerous ways looser, etc but for it to be effective at keeping the ankle in the proper position while it heals (won't be weight bearing yet for another 4 weeks) it has to be somewhat snug and that makes the hard point press onto that spot on my ankle.

I am NOT an Orthopedist, or Physical Therapist. But FWIW, my Mother had this when she fell and fractured her Fibula, a few years back. My Sister also had the same make and model of boot when she crashed her Motorcycle last year, and broke her Tibia, Fibula, and the ankle in two spots. Neither complained much about the boot itself.

Boot

My advice is listen to the Doctor when they say no weight bearing. My Sister is stubborn, and thought she knew better. She was putting some weight on her leg, and ended up flexing the plate back and forth enough times that the Tibia wasn't healing, and she broke the plate. Another surgery to replace the broken plate four months after the first surgery, and this time she listened and didn't put weight on her leg. So now nearly six months after the second surgery the bones have healed, and she is tentatively walking. But that is now difficult, because she hasn't used the muscles and connective tissues for so long, she has to rebuild their strength. She has also developed Plantar Fasciitis, which is apparently not uncommon for someone that wears a boot for an extended period of time.

Good luck for a speedy and complete recovery.

Is it really wise to buy something like this and try to fit it yourself? I don't know either way, but it sounds risky. Would a medical supply company be able to fit you properly? Again, I don't know. But that sounds really [censored] / lazy on the orthopedist's part. That boot clearly isn't going to work for you, and they should be finding one that does. Sounds like they have a "business relationship" with the boot company too. Did they disclose that? Also, it sounds like the nurse is kind of a "gatekeeper" for the doctor. I'd be wanting to take this up with the doctor directly.

Haven't been bearing weight on it. Only three weeks since the surgery. Surgeon said not weigth bearing until end of April. No way am I gonna put any weight on it. I'm on crutches for getting around.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I am NOT an Orthopedist, or Physical Therapist. But FWIW, my Mother had this when she fell and fractured her Fibula, a few years back. My Sister also had the same make and model of boot when she crashed her Motorcycle last year, and broke her Tibia, Fibula, and the ankle in two spots. Neither complained much about the boot itself.

Boot

My advice is listen to the Doctor when they say no weight bearing. My Sister is stubborn, and thought she knew better. She was putting some weight on her leg, and ended up flexing the plate back and forth enough times that the Tibia wasn't healing, and she broke the plate. Another surgery to replace the broken plate four months after the first surgery, and this time she listened and didn't put weight on her leg. So now nearly six months after the second surgery the bones have healed, and she is tentatively walking. But that is now difficult, because she hasn't used the muscles and connective tissues for so long, she has to rebuild their strength. She has also developed Plantar Fasciitis, which is apparently not uncommon for someone that wears a boot for an extended period of time.

Good luck for a speedy and complete recovery.

You need to go to your local orthotics and prosthetics provider. They have the training and expertise to fit you in something appropriate. You have the right to go to any service provider you choose as long as they accept your insurance. Do some research online or asking acquaintances who they'd recommend for PT/OT in your area.

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I'm going to hit up the physical therapist about that very thing tomorrow during the appt. This Deroyal boot is a POS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back