Mann vs Fram Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used Mann filters in the past but I've been thinking about trying the well regarded Fram Ultra?

Would this be an actual improvement? Intervals are 7-9k miles. I use full synthetic in all my cars.

Mann may be more conventional, but are high quality. Probably more 300k+ mile cars running mann filters than any other make, since their prevalence in older Euro diesels, etc.

Ive tried to get Ultras to use for example in my 135i, but availability and cost are killers. Since they are cartridge filters, there's little concern for louvers, gaskets, springs, valves, etc. for many of these.

Since Mann, Hengst, Mahle, etc. have been long-designed for use in Euro vehicles with heavy, hot oil, in demanding circumstances, over long OCIs, Id use any with absolute confidence.

Example - Hengst Energetic cartridge filters, and Mann and other equivalents, have been certified for two year, 16k mile OCIs for Saabs since at least the early 2000s.

FU may well flow and capture better, but does it matter given the track record of others? Especially given availability and cost...

Also depends on where the Mann filters are made...
If they say made in America, or something to that effect, they were made in purolator's factory in NC, and prone to the tearing issues all the lines from that facility have shown...
IE: Purolator, motorcraft, Quakerstate, Pennzoil, newer carquest, and US made Bosch and Mann-Hummel, and some other jobber filter brands

Last edited:
Pricing I've found for Saab for example is $9 for Mann, $11 for Fram Ultra at Rock Auto so for my application, pricing is competitive.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Also depends on where the Mann filters are made...
If they say made in America, or something to that effect, they were made in purolator's factory in NC, and prone to the tearing issues all the lines from that facility have shown...
I've: Purolator, motorcraft, Quakerstate, Pennzoil, newer carquest, and US made Bosch and Mann-Hummel

Off the top of my head, my Mann filters for the Saab are made in china.

Does Mahle or Hengst make filters for your Saab?

I'd say Mann all the way for your Porsche and Merc since they are probably one of the OE suppliers.

In the uk here mann are considered to be top quality stuff. They now have fully synthetic filters too.
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/news/newsdetail/?cHash=d45ad9cc92456d62a38daef82c09d81e&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=701

Originally Posted By: slybunda
In the uk here mann are considered to be top quality stuff. They now have fully synthetic filters too.
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/news/newsdetail/?cHash=d45ad9cc92456d62a38daef82c09d81e&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=701

A point of argument could be the non synthetic filter holds an amount of water, as they say in the article. I think that's a good thing if a filter is changed on time. What's not to like about taking out water from the oil, as long as the flow is adequate?

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
I've always used Mann filters in the past but I've been thinking about trying the well regarded Fram Ultra?

Would this be an actual improvement? Intervals are 7-9k miles. I use full synthetic in all my cars.

For Euro cartridge-filter cars, I would stick with the Mann/Mahle/Hengst lines in Fleece-type(no paper media types). Especially if made in Europe.
Fram Ultra is a great synthetic filter in a can, but I tried one of their cartridge filters in my 99MB. After only 3k miles, it was collapsing in the middle and the seals on the ends were so loose the filter fell off the filter cap. Would have never made the OEM OCI of 10k miles. With the Mann/Mahle/Hengst, you have to pull to remove them. Better seal. Less blow-by so you know ALL of the oil is being filtered.

Just my humble opinion.

Okay, unfortunately for my applications I've only found Made in China mann filters. They seem okay and uniform but I don't really know what to look for.

Last edited:
Just drive the car for awhile with the oil above 200 deg F and all the water will be removed from the oil and filter.

There have been a couple of horror stories about Fram Ultra-s in Euro cars.
I-d just stick with OEM such as Mann.

Does anyone know what happen to the Mann filters on Rockauto?

I was looking on Rockauto for fuel, air, and oil filters for our vehicles a while ago, and they were listed on there. Now, they are no longer on there at all. Did Rockauto stop carrying Mann filters?

Out of curiosity, I ordered a Mahle filter for the Saab. It looks a bit better made, costs the same as Mann if you look online. It's also made in Germany vs made in China for Mann.

Sorry, I was mistaken, the Mann is also made in germany... in fact it looks pretty much identical. Curious how the Hengst looks.

I would pretty much assume Bosch/Mann makes all the filters for Mann and Mahle.

I doubt it, but anything is possible. I've used many Mann and Mahle filters over the years for my applications, and they have never been "identical" twins.

Hengst filters are pretty good too. The last one I purchased for my BMW was made in Poland.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Sorry, I was mistaken, the Mann is also made in germany... in fact it looks pretty much identical. Curious how the Hengst looks.

I would pretty much assume Bosch/Mann makes all the filters for Mann and Mahle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back