Should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm torn, I bought this Dell laptop back in the fall of 2009 and still love this machine. It's been the best computer I've ever owned, and it still meet my needs. In 2015 I updated it to W10 and after a year decided W10 wasn't for me and switched to Linux Mint. Since then it has continued to be a great machine...but I feel like after 8 years it is time to move on. Should I start looking for a new PC or keep old reliable? What am I missing out on by using an 8 year old machine? I prefer Dell or HP, and something with Linux support. Specs of my current machine are below...

xHOpAkk.png

Processor is rather dated, due to the HD size I'm guessing you have added a SSD the ram is rather high for it's age however.

If you have been pleased with the system I really see no need. Sure it's a dual core but if that hasn't bothered you yet it's unlikely it will in the foreseeable future. Most programs are still single threaded with the exception of of some web browsers and video editing software. Don't get me wrong you will see a decent jump in performance but it's more diminished returns then anything. When your system can no longer keep up with what you need from it is typically the time to upgrade. You can get a CPU that's 4-5x as powerful pretty easily but it will not add a dramatic difference to your performance if you do not utilize it to it's fullest.

If you are pleased with what you have keep it, if you feel you need more or want something new then upgrade but really if you have no real complaint then it's not needed.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Processor is rather dated, due to the HD size I'm guessing you have added a SSD the ram is rather high for it's age however.

If you have been pleased with the system I really see no need. Sure it's a dual core but if that hasn't bothered you yet it's unlikely it will in the foreseeable future. Most programs are still single threaded with the exception of of some web browsers and video editing software. Don't get me wrong you will see a decent jump in performance but it's more diminished returns then anything. When your system can no longer keep up with what you need from it is typically the time to upgrade. You can get a CPU that's 4-5x as powerful pretty easily but it will not add a dramatic difference to your performance if you do not utilize it to it's fullest.

If you are pleased with what you have keep it, if you feel you need more or want something new then upgrade but really if you have no real complaint then it's not needed.

The one mod I did to this machine was adding ram, I bumped it up from the original 4 GB to 8 GB. It still has the original 250 GB 5400 RPM platter. The ancient processor is my biggest concern...would an SSD wake this machine up? Or should I put that money towards a new machine?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

The one mod I did to this machine was adding ram, I bumped it up from the original 4 GB to 8 GB. It still has the original 250 GB 5400 RPM platter. The old processor is my biggest concern...would an SSD wake this machine up? Or should I put that money towards a new machine?

A SSD would make a dramatic difference IF your PC supports the data transfer speed (SATA 3, and SATA 2 a lessor extent). The computer will be a good bit more response may take 15-20 seconds to boot depending on a bit of variables I've only used Mint once myself and never with a SSD so I'm not sure what difference it will make but it will be noticeable.

Programs will be more responsive pretty common for a PC with a SSD to boot up in the 10-15 second area and soon as soon as you get to your desktop you can click on your browser with will open near instantly. I really don't know to what extent your experience with working on computers is so I'm just going to assume it's rather about the average user. You will need to reinstall your OS and back up all your files tho. There is drive cloning software out there but I have no experience with it.

Short answer is you will notice a difference but to what extent depends on what transfer speed your PC supports. SATA 2 will make a difference but SATA 3 will be the biggest most newer PC's will have these preinstalled but if you have reached your limits with this then I would suggest just going with a newer laptop. I can't really help you with that however, I've never owned a laptop myself as I build the majority of the PC's I've owned myself

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
... It's been the best computer I've ever owned, and it still meet my needs.... switched to Linux Mint. Since then it has continued to be a great machine...Should I start looking for a new PC or keep old reliable? What am I missing out on by using an 8 year old machine?...

Seems like you answered your own question. If you have the money but need the "Ooooh, Shiny!" then get a new one. But if it meets your needs, works well and is a solid machine there's no need.

It's really a "want vs need".

Most of my old laptop problems were due to the operating system getting corrupted and buggy. You've got that handled by going to Linux. I've also had touchpads acting up, easily solved with a wireless mouse. Also worn out keyboards, a cheap and simple fix. Dead cooling fans are another problem, cheap to buy replacements but not so simple to replace.

It's not a given that a new laptop will be bulletproof.

I'd say keep it if it's still mechanically hanging in there and spend the money on a new camera lens, put it in the kids' college fund or just save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back