Two Beater Car Option Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking for a cheap beater car for the next 2 years. It will be used for doggy/hiking/recycling duty. I plan on putting approx max 5000 miles on it during that time. I am looking at two cars.

Option 1: 2000 Lexus ES, 245000 miles, has a leak in the valve cover gasket and oil pain. Price $1400
Option 2: 2004 Toyota Corolla. 248000 miles, exterior is pretty banged up/paint peeling, engine light shows catalytic converter problem and transmission shift sensor problem. Price $1000

Both cars drive pretty well, transmissions on both shift well despite the corolla throwing a transmission sensor code.

Both cars are on craigslist. Any suggestions? Thanks

With no other details, option 1

Both need to be looked at in person. For doggy/hiking/recycling I'd be looking at an old 4 banger S-10 or Ranger.

If you're mechanically inclined, then definitely option 1. It's a LOT cheaper to replace a valve cover gasket and an oil pan gasket than to replace a catalytic converter.

Option 1. It's mechanically identical to a Camry with the 1MZ-FE. They're known for sludge if not maintained properly, but with such a short ownership time, who cares. Also has a timing belt but it's a non interference motor, no need to have it replaced. Intake manifold has to come off to replace the rear valve cover gasket.

+1 for the ES. Had mine (2001 and 2000 are identical) since January 2016 and haven't had any major problems yet- just a couple bad OCV solenoids which is typical for this old of an engine, and easy to test and replace.

Super easy to find spare parts at the junk yard, as the ES300 was the most popular luxury sedan of its era. Not to mention sharing a platform with the Camry- probably the single most numerous car on the road.

Aside from the sludging issue (mitigated by servicing the PCV valve periodically), the U140E Transmission is a weak link on these. Do period ATF drains-and-fills. My mom's RX300's U140E died a couple years ago due to lack of such maintenance.
I put an aftermarket B&M transmission cooler on mine cause temps were peaking at like 115 degrees C (~240F), which is pretty nuts. Rarely goes above 100C now.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Option 1. It's mechanically identical to a Camry with the 1MZ-FE
The ES300 has the VVTi version of the 1MZ-FE, like the Avalon etc..., so it gets maybe 10% more horsepower than the 1MZ Camry and has no obnoxious EGR system to finagle with.

Lexus, no question.

It's a Lexus! I'm willing to bet you'll keep it longer than your plan
wink.gif

Forgot to mention the 2003 and later spin-on-PCV-valve type 1MZ-FE VVTi and 3MZ rear valve covers supposedly mitigated the sludging issue. If you're gonna be doing the valve cover gaskets, you might consider upgrading to the newer type of rear valve cover from a junkyard while you're at it.

Though the sludging issue may be overblown, this is probably worth it just to get rid of the rubber grommet holding in the PCV valve, which eventually disintegrates.

If you're not planning on doing the valve cover gaskets, depending on how bad the leak is, I'd suggest trying ATP-205 Re-seal, which had success fixing a cam seal leak on this engine.

A sludged V6 won't go 246K without incident. If the suspension and brakes are in good shape you might find yourself enjoying the vehicle. Rock Auto is loaded with parts for the car.

Last edited:
Option 1. I wouldn't consider the Corolla if my plan was to keep it 2 years and low usage. If it was a longer term then maybe I'd consider the Corolla and dump money to fix it. However, for a two year run I would spend as little as possible to maintain a vehicle

Option 2.

c'mon, someone had to say it...

Last I knew, KY did not have OBDII emissions checks. Therefore the CEL could be ignored. Timing chain (although to be fair I don't know what the ES has). Shift solenoid is worrisome but perhaps an easy fix (new solenoid, new trans fluid). Although... if you all need is 5,000 miles... ignore all issues. Which says option 2. 'cuz it's $400 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back