Missing bellhousing bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, found something interesting today while reinstalling the T45 in my Mustang for my clutch swap... Looks like the shop that installed the last clutch (without replacing a leaking RMS) also lost one of my bell housing bolts. There should be 7 BH bolts un-evenly spaced in addition to two bolts which only fasten to the spacer plate. I have 6 and definitely did not loose one myself. I blamed all the clutch issues I was having (shuddering and grabbing but not slipping) on oil contamination so I'm not 100% sure running only 6 bolts didn't cause any issues... but I'm like 99% sure. Its been a good 20k miles like that or more.

Doesn't look like the bolts are available individually, though I still have to check with the dealer. Entire bolt kits are $35... I know I should just eat the $35 and throw all new bolts in while I'm at it... but so frustrating!

It is common for bellhousing bolts to vibrate out. It is very easy to have one undertorqued if you don't go around in the right pattern.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It is common for bellhousing bolts to vibrate out. It is very easy to have one undertorqued if you don't go around in the right pattern.

I know I read a thread recently about putting loctite on bellhousing bolts!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I know I read a thread recently about putting loctite on bellhousing bolts!

I never use Loctite if it isn't called out in the manual, but many bellhousing/clutch/flywheel bolts do come new with pre-applied blue Loctite.

The thing to take away here is to always follow the factory service manual installation and torque specifications, whether it calls for a torque pattern, Loctite, new bolts, or some combination of the three.

I've done far too much work on Mustangs of that era and getting all the bolts in can be a PITA. Do the shop "lose" the bolt or did they keep it out on purpose? If it's the hardest one to install, I'm betting they left it out on purpose.
Just hit the salvage yard to get the bolt you need. If it's one of the bolts on the top, I've found it easiest to start it with an air ratchet.

One missing bolt was not the cause of your issues.

No need to blow 35 bucks on a set of bolts for crying out loud. Just buy another bolt of appropriate length and grade and install. Your bellhousing will be just fine.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I blamed all the clutch issues I was having (shuddering and grabbing but not slipping) on oil contamination so I'm not 100% sure running only 6 bolts didn't cause any issues... but I'm like 99% sure. Its been a good 20k miles like that or more.

The bolts don't align the transmission housing to the engine, the pins do. So as long as the remaining bolts were keeping the transmission securely mated to the engine it's not going to go out of alignment.

And no way I'd use thread locking compound on a steel bolt threaded into an aluminum housing, that sounds like a sure way to strip out the threads. But maybe that's just me.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
No need to blow 35 bucks on a set of bolts for crying out loud. Just buy another bolt of appropriate length and grade and install. Your bellhousing will be just fine.

This. Why is this an issue?

Ford loves their shouldered, half threaded bolts... But that's a good point about the dowels aligning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back