Kalifornya gas tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
...raise gas taxes and vehicle fees to generate more than $5 billion annually for repairing California’s crumbling system of streets, highways and bridges, as well as to increase mass transit.

....which include a 12-cent-per-gallon increase in current gas excise taxes on Nov. 1. Future increases would be made by a new tax calculating methodology and annual inflation adjustments. Those changes begin in 2019 and are fully implemented in 2020.

The package also includes a new, annual vehicle fee that would average about $51 based on the value of the car.

You Kalifornya guys have fun with that proposal but don't fret, IL isn't far behind you.

(I deleted references to a banned topic)

Wow, that'll make it about a dollar per gallon more than here... Crazy... $2.15 here today and- I just looked- an average of $2.98 in California. That's almost 50% more!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We already have something like a .25/gal excise tax for infrastructure.

And yet the Peoples Republic is crumbling. It would be eye opening if a audit was conducted were the current revenue is spent.

Make sure you don't have a Washington state setup where the money goes into the general fund instead of into a dedicated transportation fund. Years ago it was discovered that WA was doing this. It outraged the citizens enough that the government pushed a bill for a gasoline tax increase that would be solely for roads. Well, the voters approved it and shortly afterwards discovered that increase was going into the general fund as well. Fool me once,........

Right now, WA State is number 2 in the nation at 63¢ a gallon.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/states-with-highest-gasoline-excise-taxes-3.aspx

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We already have something like a .25/gal excise tax for infrastructure.

That Bullet Train to nowhere is not cheap to construct
wink.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Don't make an assumption, because you'd be wrong, but I listen to NPR. They like to give both sides of the coin on topics unlike CNN/ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS.
One thing I agree with is that vehicles are more efficient today and that alone can generate less revenue from each driver than in years past.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Make sure you don't have a Washington state setup where the money goes into the general fund instead of into a dedicated transportation fund. Years ago it was discovered that WA was doing this. It outraged the citizens enough that the government pushed a bill for a gasoline tax increase that would be solely for roads. Well, the voters approved it and shortly afterwards discovered that increase was going into the general fund as well. Fool me once,........

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/states-with-highest-gasoline-excise-taxes-3.aspx

NJ did the same thing this past year, raised the gas tax by 23 cents/gallon for "infrastructure repairs" because they used the gas tax money for the general fund. I'm sure this additional tax is going into the same "dedicated" politician's slush fund that all our "dedicated" taxes go to
wink.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't make an assumption, because you'd be wrong, but I listen to NPR. They like to give both sides of the coin on topics unlike CNN/ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS.
One thing I agree with is that vehicles are more efficient today and that alone can generate less revenue from each driver than in years past.

The Golden State also asserts that to raise water prices - you're using less so we have to charge more.
The sewage is more concentrated, so needs more chemicals to treat.

Back to the original subject, the DMV used to publish a pie chart showing where the money went.
Seems they only have a text-based breakdown now.
Your DMV fees go to:

Local government (cities/counties) 40.7%
CHP 25.7%
DMV 13.9%
State highways (Caltrans) 13.0%
Air Resources Board 1.7%
Other state agencies 4.3%
State General Fund 0.7%

I think it's meant to show how little of your $$ goes directly to the DMV.

It keeps going.

The registration fee ($46), California Highway Patrol (CHP) fee ($23), vehicle license fee (VLF), and county/district fees are due for most vehicles registered for on-highway use. Registration and CHP fees are used by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and CHP to offset costs. Commercial Vehicle Registration Act (CVRA) and/or weight fees may be due for commercial vehicles.

County/District Fees ($1–$19 each)

DMV collects money for the following special programs on behalf of participating local counties/districts:

SAFE ($1/$3). Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies fees are used to install/maintain freeway emergency call boxes. [ED: largely gone from freeways]
Air quality ($2–$19). Fees are set by each air quality management district and used to reduce air pollution, plan, monitor, enforce, and conduct studies.
Auto theft deterrence/DUI ($1/$6). Provides theft prevention education and enforcement of antitheft and driving under the influence (DUI) programs.
Abandoned vehicle abatement ($1/$3). Removes and disposes of abandoned vehicles.
Fingerprint ID ($1/$6). Funds local fingerprint identification (ID) programs.
County transportation project fee (CTPF) ($10). Funds transportation projects/programs.

Pay as you go...

Calif does that with insurance, people just don't know it...

They get your actual mileage from Carfax and adjust/prorate/estimate your future rates based on that.
It gets reported at smog check, service, etc.

Kind of sneaky...

Last edited:
By the way, I drove cross country last summer.

I-40 going east; I-80 going west. 19 states.

Worst roads? Calif.

I was surprised after hearing how bad roads are in the rust belt. I just didn't see that, when compared to Calif. roads.

I left Calif a few years ago. Their unspoken problem is when people like me, in a high tax bracket, leaves and moves my business out of state, they lose the goose that is laying the golden egg.

WA is becoming a CA junior, and it seems they just keep on taxing and taxing away. Love the increase in vehicle license tabs, lots of crying when people get their tab renewal and it's $500+. Same surprises with the new property tax statement arriving in the mail. Foolish voters probably thought $54B in funding for ST3 (which will take 20 years to complete) was going to be printed in the governor's basement.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
California is broke and their solution is just to raise taxes or create new ways of revenue.

Wait until external funding is cut back or stopped all together and see what the states do for new taxes.

Oregon just started taxing cars by mileage instead of taxing gasoline itself.

Yeah, that's stupid and hope WA doesn't do the same. IMO if they want to tax cars for mileage it should only be electric/hybrids since they use and tear up the roads just like every other car on the road, and leave the gas tax for the vehicles needing gas/diesel. I think the days of special treatment for electric/hybrid vehicles needs to stop.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
California is broke and their solution is just to raise taxes or create new ways of revenue.

Broke? Who told you that? The Trump administration?

Calif and the rest of Ecotopia is headed to the Euro model. $8/gal gas with $6 or that being tax to support transport infrastructure.

They've been complaining like crazy the electric cars are not paying their fair share of road maintenance for at least three years now.

It's sort of messed up, but it's a pretty place to live
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back