Motorcraft FL500S filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been done a few times here but it's a first for me.
smile.gif
This came off a 2016 F-150 5.0 V8. The filter had 7500 miles on it and was filtering Mobil 1 EP 5w20 oil. This is all new to me but from what I can tell it held up great. Most pleats were still in great shape as you can see in the pictures. Most importantly no metal or anything weird in the filter.

I replaced this with a Mobil 1 EP filter but after finding a thread here from back in November showing a brand new Mobil 1 EP filter cut open with terrible spacing in the pleats, I may be going back to the Motorcraft. Only reason I tried out the Mobil 1 was due to a rebate they are currently offering.

I have an oil analysis coming shortly on the oil, but for now here's the Motorcraft filter..

The filter looks to be in great condition. What I do with my filters is cut the media from the end caps then compress it in a vice to squeeze as much oil out of it as possible. When I expand the pleats afterwards it shows all of the carbon and particles that were captured in the pleat valleys.

I rarely get carbon from new engines but often times I'll find specks of paint or large metal particles from break-in.

Keep them coming. Some think the Motorcraft filters are susceptible to tearing, so it's good to see more filters getting torn open to continue the discussion. I can't wait to tear into mine in a month...

From what I've seen the Motorcraft filters hold up very nicely. I'll probably continue to use them. For the price they are hard to beat!

Originally Posted By: AccF150
Thanks for the comments guys!

You are more than welcome. Thank you for taking the time to do this cut and post ... the filter looks great. Your effort is greatly appreciated!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back