Well that was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I overhear people with their ridiculous fantasies, or antiquated (and often sexist) beliefs all the time, while in the Pits.

When I talk to friends that are also working on the tour, we compare the latest stories we've overheard, and have a good laugh.
another one of my favorites is the " it has a corvette engine in it"
Seems like every small block chevy at the car show came from a wrecked corvette. Must have been thousands just layong on the side of the hwy waiting to be picked clean in those days.

Originally Posted By: Skid
I just filled up my tires with some air molecules from James Dean's last breath.
And some from Abe Lincoln and Napoleon and Martin Luther and [censored]. I think the chance of taking in at least one molecule of air of almost any person in history and/or antiquity is better than 90%

When this guy goes to the parts store to buy parts for his "Studebaker" engine, and the parts guy gives him parts for a Studebaker engine, and they don't fit, he probably blames the parts guy for not knowing what he's doing.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: Skid
I just filled up my tires with some air molecules from James Dean's last breath.
And some from Abe Lincoln and Napoleon and Martin Luther and [censored]. I think the chance of taking in at least one molecule of air of almost any person in history and/or antiquity is better than 90%

Well, my car was made from iron and aluminum that came from a supernova billions and billions of years ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
When this guy goes to the parts store to buy parts for his "Studebaker" engine, and the parts guy gives him parts for a Studebaker engine, and they don't fit, he probably blames the parts guy for not knowing what he's doing.
smirk.gif

Yup that's how it happens. Usually followed by the "anyone can do parts, just a couple clicks on the computer. They're all the same anyway."

Did the 4 cylinder use a flat plane or cross plane crankshaft? Pontiac had an engine along the same lines, although my knowledge of it is limited. I do know it had a half valley pan to cover the pushrods and only had four cylinders, but was indeed half a poncho V8. Used them in the first gen Tempest.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: exranger06
smirk.gif

Yup that's how it happens. Usually followed by the "anyone can do parts, just a couple clicks on the computer. They're all the same anyway."

Yep!

The "they're all the same" crowd is so much fun to deal with. It's really bad with old GM trucks. I don't mind helping people with their oddball projects if they can meet me half way, but a lot of people get into a car they really don't have the knowledge/experience or willingness to learn to deal with.

A while back a guy called in, got one of the wholesale people who just does body orders, blew up at them and got transferred to me. He wanted some differential part for some project car he was building, and the diff was (I think) a 12 bolt out of some 1960s/early 1970s GM car. I found the part number in one of the old books we keep in the back, but it was not something I could get any more, at all. I told the guy and he blew up again, and told me the diff was the same one used in 1980s trucks. It wasn't, and more paper catalog digging and Googling confirmed that pretty quickly, but he continued to blow up. Finally I just told him "good luck" and hung up. Even though a lot of times I can't get the part, I will at least try to help people with old car parts and point them in the right direction. I even keep a list of aftermarket parts sources for old vehicles that I print off for people, and as mentioned we still have a lot of very old paper catalogs. Some people just can't be helped though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back