0W-20 for 2014 Lexus ES350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I was wondering what 0W-20 oil would be good for a 2014 Lexus ES350 that will be taking mostly very short in town trips from now on? What is the latest talk on this weight? This car has always used Mobil 1 synthetic and it has 72,000 miles (mostly highway miles) on it currently. Is it good to switch between brands at each oil change or always stick to the same brand? Castrol, Mobil 1, Valvoline Synpower, Pennzoil? I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Mobil 1 0W20 would be my choice. I'd stick with one brand of oil if possible. You can switch between brands. Many people do that strictly based on price with no reported negative impact.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 would be my choice, and I would stick with that from now on. It should do a great job keeping the engine free from deposits from those short trips.

3 posts above, 3 different oils suggested. You'll have many more recommendations I'd suspect. Pick a solid oil and go with it.

I'll make it 4 for 4 and say Amsoil.
laugh.gif

35.gif

Valvoline 0w20 was the best ive run out of M1, QSUD, Idemitsu BY FAR.

Cures stickey TCT and no brown sludge around the VVT mechanism.

Short town trips are engine killers. You may wish to trade that glorified camry and get an ELECRIC PLUGIN.

Then: No thus No oil changes, no trans fluid, and on many - no coolant.

Instant start, no warmup, no noise.

Last edited:
You can run any major brand of oil in your Lexus. We all have our personal favorite brands so asking this question will bring forth many answers. Chevron, Valvoline, SOPUS, Mobil, Castrol. Pick your favorite and go.

Any 0W20 at Wally World will serve your Lexus well.

Last edited:
M1 0-20AFE is an outstanding oil. My engines have used it for years and both engines are very clean and show no sign of wear, at 10K OCIs. PM me and I will send a pic to you of the valve train.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can run any major brand of oil in your Lexus. We all have our personal favorite brands so asking this question will bring forth many answers. Chevron, Valvoline, SOPUS, Mobil, Castrol. Pick your favorite and go.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

^ These are the best answers.

You are not going to see a consensus reached with your question.

The fact is these engines don't need anything special. Just pick whatever you can find on sale and call it a day. Seriously.

You can run a different brand oil at each OCI and your Lexus will not notice a difference.

THis ^ and don't get rid of a car with such a great reliability record for a battery s box.

This^^^^

Any full synthetic 0w20 will give you no problems. There is nothing wrong with switching brands or sticking with the same brand
smile.gif

Agree with the above. Part of the equation is your personality. If you get busy or something and you may want to go with the premium full synthetic 0w-20 in the brand you like (considering it may only be a few $ more and not a $$$$ more).

So then say your 10k/12month interval rolls around (I think that is what the manual says) and you just can't get to it for a couple weeks, you'll feel better that you got a little extra.
If you are antsy and always end up changing early, or perhaps you're changing at 5k and 4months even though manual says 10k and you can't wait to change it, then agree, all 0w-20 will be fine for the OCI as it says in the book.

So, that being said, PU is what goes into my cars (lexuses and toyotas)

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the replies! Thank you! I was a little surprised as I thought there might be a battle of my brand is better than your brand for this and that reason.

I do have to ask... is there any one brand that stands above the others for it's cleaning ability or is this another situation of "any of them will do an equally good job?" Is there a particular additive(s) one would look for to indicate a better cleaning formula? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: BlackHawk1
I appreciate all of the replies! Thank you! I was a little surprised as I thought there might be a battle of my brand is better than your brand for this and that reason.

I do have to ask... is there any one brand that stands above the others for it's cleaning ability or is this another situation of "any of them will do an equally good job?" Is there a particular additive(s) one would look for to indicate a better cleaning formula? Thanks!

I'd note that cleanliness is a separate issue than cleaning power. Everything to do with a motor oil's additive package is about balance. They all compete for surface area, so it's not as if it's desirable for higher detergency at the expense of antiwear.

If you're using any reasonable 0W-20, I don't think there's any one that might stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back