rear driveline center spline

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am looking up my owner's manual to see about a differential oil and I see this box.

A Chevrolet 2003 Silverado and it says to grease this. What is it? I assume it is where the driveshaft and the rear-end meet, but how do you grease it.

I doubt it is a u-joint because they're supposedly not able to be greased in these trucks.

Maybe this is what the tech at the dealer was referring to when they said I needed a differential service. I just put in Redline two years ago (about 4000 miles) and they are requesting it be serviced. Well, I am planning to do what I can do and then take my truck back in and tell them what I have done to it and see if they will look it back over and either write it off or fix what I might have missed.

I am about to change the diff fluid to the dealer fluid myself. WHen I take it back and have the funds (they suggested TB cleaning, coolant flush, differential service and oil cooler lines) I will ask for an inspection to go over all of this. I cleaned the TB the best I could with a microfiber and citrus cleaner (fly-by-wire), I flushed the radiator multiple times and it is still coming out muddy when I drain the radiator, and I plan to change the gear oil soon. But the oil cooler I don't want to touch, but when I take it in for the oil cooler then they could check all this other stuff I tried to accomplish.....but who knows??? Maybe the TB needs disassembly or a special tool or chemical. Maybe the cooling system needs the block drains removed ( I started to, but they were so tight I kind of gave up out of fear of breaking something major), then the differential may need more than just gear oil, so I wonder if I am even doing any good. Like when you sweep a room and someone comes in five minutes later and sweeps it again and gets nothing in the dustpan! But then again, I wonder if what I am doing will take some of the work load off the mechanic and he can focus on the technical stuff a DIY can't really accomplish well.

Take the driveshaft yolk off the rear pinion and grease the splines. I have to do this to my jeep to get rid of a clunk.

Its referring to a 2wd truck. They have a 2 piece driveshaft with a center carrier bearing. It has a splined slip yoke where the rear driveshaft meets the front driveshaft. They have a grease fitting that must be greased with a standard greas gun and chassis grease.
I have owned 3 such trucks.
A 4wd truck or a short wheelbase 2wd truck with a 1 piece driveshaft will not have this because the splined slip yoke goes directly into the transmission and is lubricated by the transmission fluid.

My '06 Duramax isn't greasable, But the arrow is pointing to where you need to look, Don't over grease it! A few good pumps is fine.

I have to take my rear shaft off every 18 months or so & manually grease it, If you have a Zerk.....Your lucky!

Last edited:
I don't have a zerk clinebarger. So, it is not a simple task? I will look again as it looks like in your arrow on the photograph that there is a hold in the bellow. IF not, I will make plans to ask the dealer to look in to it.

edit: IT seems I have two driveshafts (long bed 8ft) and three u-joints. A u joint where the trans meets the driveshaft. Another u joint where the two driveshafts meet (by the loop) and a third one where the driveshaft meets the rear gears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back