Secrets to plumbing a steering bypass filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a hydroboost system.
Does it need to be below the pump reservoir? Anything else?
How important is a cooler if I already have it at whatever the coolant is at? Is cooler than that better?

I wouldn't bypass, I'd just grab the return to the reservoir and run that through the filter. If you already are keeping the temp at coolant, than yeah you shouldn't need an additional cooler.

Last edited:
Yeah. What type of filter are you using? Spin on or inline? If spin on, use one with an ADBV to prevent the fluid siphoning back into the res and overflowing it.

Does it need to be below the reservoir? Last one I tried wasn't and I couldn't bleed the air out of the system.

Shouldn't need to be. There should be enough pressure in the return to blow any air out of the filter provided you can keep enough fluid in the res.
Did you prefill the filter? I found on my car it completely emptied the res trying to fill the filter; in the future I will prefill so it doesn't run dry like it did.
When it emptied, it sucked a bunch of air into the system. To bleed it out, I put a rubber stopper in the res and put a 15inHg vacuum on it while it was running. That pulled all the air out.

I still need to figure this out. I had it above the reservoir, filter hanging down. It was plumbed inline. I couldn't get the air to stay bled out. I have a magnafine filter in line now, but would like to add a hydraulic filter too.
It also runs through the old oil cooler in the radiator.

Last edited:
I have a transmission bypass filter, a coolant bypass filter, and 10 and 2 micron fuel filters. So I need this and eventually after all my cross country hauling is done, I'll try an oil bypass again. Then I'll be sufficiently fluid filtered.

Last edited:
I don't find it hard to suck out a pint once a year to get some fresh fluid in there - my GMC already has an air cooler - the others are electric ...

Is changing power steering fluid a thing? Power steering fluid unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer should last the lifte time of the vehicle. Only change if burned, contaminated or a major system component replacement occurs.

Last edited:
Hard to know what it looks like without removing some - mine was black as coal with OEM fluid - swapped in two bottles then started flipping one small bottle per year - figure a few ounces of fresh fluid & seal conditioner is not a bad idea ...

For anyone struggling with a turkey baster - get a super syringe off eBay ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back