External filter service interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this past fall I installed a remote filter on the return side of my trans cooler lines with a Napa Platinum 41085 spin on filter. My trans cooler is thermostatically controlled and barely opens during my normal commute (if at all during cold weather). What type of filter change interval would be best for this set up? I'm thinking yearly would be adequate, but not really sure... Definitely would say its more a time based than miles based situation, though.

The first change after a year should be good, but once it picks up most of the floating contamination it should be fairly clean and will only be stopping future particles so i would say 30,000 miles would be a good number.

I would try to steer you into something like a Fram ultra which is over 99% efficient at 20 microns while the Napa Platinum is only 50% @ 20 microns.

Recently complete fluid exchange as well. Unlocked the platinum because of the synthetic media with Tue moderate efficiency figuring it would likely flow better. Worried more about possible media break down over long time frames.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Recently complete fluid exchange as well. Unlocked the platinum because of the synthetic media with Tue moderate efficiency figuring it would likely flow better. Worried more about possible media break down over long time frames.

Microglass won't break down with time, it's synthetic material. The can would rust through before the capacity is reached I'm betting.

Microglass has high flow already so I'd recommend upgrading to a better efficiency model like the Fram Ultra, Amsoil, or Royal purple units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back