Synthetic Oil and Oil Filter Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Please give me some recommendations as to a preferred oil and filter for my new (to me) 2013 Ford Explorer XLT. The vehicle has 30,000 miles, not sure what kind of oil is in there now. My driving is a 50/50 mix with highway and city driving. I do not use the car for towing. I would like to use a full synthetic.

Thanks for your help,
Scott

Pennzoil Platinum and a Fram Ultra would be a top choice.

All of the major brands have high quality synthetics though, Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol Edge, pick whichever bottle you like the best, but Fram Ultras catch the most junk.

Castrol Magnatec and an Ultra oil filter would be my first choice in this application. Second choice would be full synthetic Motorcraft and a Motocraft oil filter. A Fram Tough Guard would be another choice. Available at Walmart for decent pricing.

I'll just copy and paste my answer from another thread started today. Slightly edited to remove vehicle brand.

"You can run any major brand of oil in your vehicle. We all have our personal favorite brands so asking this question will bring forth many answers. Chevron, Valvoline, SOPUS, Mobil, Castrol. Pick your favorite and go."

If this has an Ecoboost engine, you might want to look in the "Interesting Articles" forum for threads about LSPI in DIT engines. I haven't heard about recalls for LSPI in Ecoboosts such as have occurred for various Hyundais, Chevys, and Subarus (like my car), but I think this is still an issue to be aware of if you own a DIT engine of any make.
I have found that all the various M1 5W30 formulations before AP came out were low calcium, close to zero sodium formulations that studies indicate are likely to help prevent LSPI from occurring.

Originally Posted By: zaffo757
What is the beta on those Frams?

Fram doesn't post beta ratios they give ISO 4548-12 efficiency numbers, the 99%+ @ 20 microns is posted on their website and through tech support they will give you the numbers of 94% @ 10 microns and 80% @ 5 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back