Valvoline synpower vs synpower with maxlife tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always see these 2 oils priced the same at my local walmart and as far as i understand the synpower with maxlife technology is their "top tier" oil with the best additives. Is there any reason to favor the original synpower over the synthetic maxlife offering? Or are these in fact similar quality oils designed for 2 different consumers?

One is regular synthetic, one is the high mileage version. Nearly identical, the later is a bit more robust with seal conditioners etc.

I'm interested in this topic too. Maybe I've read into this too much but Valvoline has quietly said their Full Syn with ML technology is their top product. The fact that they use the term Maxlife Technology tells me this is not purely a high mileage oil.

It is confusing.

The website had a graphic on it showing it as the highest performance oil they offer. In the description it states its for cars with 75k+ miles along with new cars. It seems like they are marketing it as an option above synpower, not a high mileage alternative.

All I know is it was a sad day when they removed moly from MaxLife oil
cry.gif

Last edited:
Moly is not the end all be all for friction modifiers. With all the great analysis reports we see here on all Valvoline products, I'd suspect they have something that works just as well.

@JoelB, I saw that as well. It's not as clear as calling it Ultra or whatever but that's the impression I got as well. Same price? Then why not use it? I would and will use it.

Here is my take on this subject; Even if your car has high mileage 150,000, 200,000 plus and it DOES NOT leak oil, Dont use the high mileage oils,(any brand) it will soften the seals in the engine, thats not what you guys want..... Yes Valvoline Synpower is a great oil, Its got a dose of sodium which is a great cleaner for a spotless inside the crankcase. I see daily what it can do at the shop here.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Here is my take on this subject; Even if your car has high mileage 150,000, 200,000 plus and it DOES NOT leak oil, Dont use the high mileage oils,(any brand) it will soften the seals in the engine, thats not what you guys want..... Yes Valvoline Synpower is a great oil, Its got a dose of sodium which is a great cleaner for a spotless inside the crankcase. I see daily what it can do at the shop here.

The downside with sodium for us DIT owners is that Infineum found it to be an accelerant for LSPI, that special kind of knock that only we seem to have to worry about. I would guess that dexos1 Gen2 and GF6 oils are not likely to feature sodium-based detergents.
For everybody else, it seems to work great.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429

The downside with sodium for us DIT owners is that Infineum found it to be an accelerant for LSPI, that special kind of knock that only we seem to have to worry about. I would guess that dexos1 Gen2 and GF6 oils are not likely to feature sodium-based detergents.
For everybody else, it seems to work great.

Synpower is on the Dexos1 Gen2 list. It would be interesting to see if they changed their formulation between Dexos1 Gen1 and Gen2. The Maxlife Synpower has additional Esters to condition seals which may have other benefits besides just conditioning seals.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

Originally Posted By: smithph

Synpower is on the Dexos1 Gen2 list. It would be interesting to see if they changed their formulation between Dexos1 Gen1 and Gen2. The Maxlife Synpower adds Esters to condition seals which may have other benefits besides just conditioning seals.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants/

Yes, it is going to be very interesting to see the VOAs for Gen2 and GF6 oils.
Molakule was kind enough to share a VOA for a new 0W30 formulation designed to inhibit preignition and it was a low calcium formulation with very little sodium or magnesium that used ashless (invisible to VOA) compounds to raise the TBN. I'm sure we'll see s variety of approaches in the oils that companies come up with to meet Gen 2 and GF6, though.

Is there really any proof out there that high mileage oils are bad for a newer/low mileage engine? I always hear that but find it hard to believe.

I just hinted this earlier but my impression is that by using the term "Maxlife Technology ", it is not a true HM oil. Valvoline calls their HM oils Maxlife. I equate this to the term "synthetic technology " which usually means not a fully synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I just hinted this earlier but my impression is that by using the term "Maxlife Technology ", it is not a true HM oil. Valvoline calls their HM oils Maxlife. I equate this to the term "synthetic technology " which usually means not a fully synthetic oil.

Valvoline pioneered high mileage oil so it is definitely a high mileage oil, which means extra seal conditioners, more detergents and better base oils than their lower tier counter part in general. The wording on the bottle is purely marketing, its still Maxlife with better base stocks.

Some cool info here if you haven't seen it. Although its long. High mileage discussion starts around 27 minutes

My malibu has 24k on it now and i found 10Q of valvoline full syn w/ maxlife technology 0w20 at autozone last month for $2Q, and i plan on using it for my next 2 oil changes.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I'm interested in this topic too. Maybe I've read into this too much but Valvoline has quietly said their Full Syn with ML technology is their top product. The fact that they use the term Maxlife Technology tells me this is not purely a high mileage oil.

It is confusing.

Sure you can use a 5 pound sledge to attach shingles to your roof, but does that mean it is 'better'.. It is more powerful correct? It costs more than a regular hammer! It can handle heavy duties too, but just be weary of 'better'. That word can be used by the worse folks.

"Sure you can use a 5 pound sledge to attach shingles to your roof, but does that mean it is 'better'.. It is more powerful correct? It costs more than a regular hammer! It can handle heavy duties too, but just be weary of 'better'. That word can be used by the worse folks."

I do not recall saying it was better, just that Valvoline quietly pushes it as a step above Synpower. Your analogy could be applied to Mobil EP or the new AP, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Edge EP, etc. Yes it's true that most consumers can get by with syn blends or even conventional especially if doing 3000-5000 mile oci. Then again, freedom of choice has the final say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back