'98 VW GTI VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running RP 5w-30 for the most of the car's life. Still runs great and I'm changing the oil every 5K miles. I know I could go longer but I only do 2 or 3 oil changes a year so I don't think it hurts. I have 253K miles on it and was wondering if I should stick with the RP or go to a 0w-40 M1 or equivalent. I live in Houston so it gets pretty hot most of the year. TIA.

While the RP 5w-30 is _probably_ not up to spec, it sure seems like you've got good use out of the engine. I'd probably keep doing what you've been doing. But, you could probably switch to M1 0w40 without any issues, too.

robert

Wow, 253k!!!

I change the oil on a friend's 98 Jetta GLX VR6. Same maint. routine as you, 5K+-. She bought the car w/14k and currently has around 62k. I've been using Penz Plat 5w-30 lately due to last years rebate incentives and the cheapest filters (currently NAPA GOLD). The car is peppy and fun to drive. I also recently changed the spark plups (pretty simple job on these motors)
Hope she can get that kind of mileage out of it.

It has been a great car. Valve cover has only been off to put in a set of performance cams and I changed the timing chains/guides at around 160K. Other than that, just maintenance. Thanks for the warm welcome. Seems like a lot of friendly people here.

In my '97 Jetta GLX, I ran Rotella 15w-40 in the summer and RTS 5w-40 in the winter, both HDEO's. I did this for 175K and no internal problems that were oil related.

Update: Still have the car. Currently sitting on 296,xxx miles. I stopped daily driving it in the summer of 2014. We bought a Toyota Highlander for my wife and I now drive her old '05 Audi A4 1.8T. I've only put around 2 or 300 miles on the car since then. I try to drive it when the weather is nice out. I changed the oil earlier this year since the oil in the car was two years old or so. Even though I hadn't driven it much, I figured it wouldn't hurt. I used some Shell Rotella 5w-40 and the car seemed to run great w/ it. Did notice something weird noise coming from a lifter from what I could tell. I started the car and it started fine, just started making the noise after idling for 10 minutes or so. I pulled it back into the garage and shut it off. Started it again the next day and it sounded normal, even went for a short drive and no more noise. I'm guessing this thing hates me for not driving it enough
smile.gif
Should I switch back to thinner oil and how often should I change it since it doesn't get driven much? I plan on trying a can of BG EPR. Maybe that will help clean things up a bit?

On another topic. I used some Pennzoil Platinum (0w-20) on the Highlander after using Mobil 1 and noticed the oil came out much darker/dirtier after 10k miles vs. the M1. I've read it has some of the best cleaning agents made. True? Maybe it's just doing it's job and showing it?

I had a Jetta '97 GLS from brand new till 3 years ago that I traded in with 234K miles (375K km).
I ran mostly 15w-40 or 10w-40 and 5w-40 in the car, no engine issues except valve cover gasket and PCV replacement once.
It was funny to hear - 'Is it ONLY 75K on the car????" - odo on those rolls over at 300K to zero
smile.gif
doesn't say 'Total' thou.

EDIT: it hasn't seen synth oil until past 120K mi or so....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dubber09
I had a Jetta '97 GLS from brand new till 3 years ago that I traded in with 234K miles (375K km).
I ran mostly 15w-40 or 10w-40 and 5w-40 in the car, no engine issues except valve cover gasket and PCV replacement once.
It was funny to hear - 'Is it ONLY 75K on the car????" - odo on those rolls over at 300K to zero
smile.gif
doesn't say 'Total' thou.

EDIT: it hasn't seen synth oil until past 120K mi or so....

I love the 2.0 ABA motors. Solid as a rock. My wife drove a 96 GTI 2.0. Loved that car, was fun with a cam/chip/exhaust combo. Should have never sold it
frown.gif
I've heard about the 300k mile speedo back to zero. I need to take a long road trip and get some miles on the car.

Originally Posted By: bumblebvr6
Should I switch back to thinner oil and how often should I change it since it doesn't get driven much? I plan on trying a can of BG EPR. Maybe that will help clean things up a bit?
Recommend going with a High Mileage oil, you know the kind with extra seal conditioners to keep that ancient rubber from becoming a problem anytime soon..... Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w30, Mobil1 High Mileage full synthetic 5w30, or any High Mileage 5w30 full-syn you see on the shelf at Walmart. Then get a Fram Ultra oil filter with glass fiber media and change oil filter exactly once a year with your light usage. The BG EPR isn't a bad idea at all, as its unknown if there is too much gummy stuff on the rings, just do not know but can't hurt, or just use an engine flush like diesel fuel or the canned stuff off the shelf with 10 minutes of idling right before an oil change. A pint or quart just before a change.

Originally Posted By: bumblebvr6
On another topic. I used some Pennzoil Platinum (0w-20) on the Highlander after using Mobil 1 and noticed the oil came out much darker/dirtier after 10k miles vs. the M1. I've read it has some of the best cleaning agents made. True? Maybe it's just doing it's job and showing it?
Pennzoil Platinum ( & Ultra) does have the highest level of calcium sulfonate detergents seen at http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html so there could be something to what you're seeing. Amsoil tends to run even higher levels of detergents in their SS oils.

BTW, I think I want a VR6 volks! One head, and its a six. Not bad. Smoother than a 4. Compact design. Why don't more car makers do this?

You guys are making me nostalgic. I agree, both intake and the smooth exhaust of my VR6 Corrado and GTi are dearly missed. [censored], i even miss the second gear grind characteristic if shifting too quickly. Unfortunately, neither car was very reliable. But my mk3 "GTi" 2.0 8v was. I too had it slightly modded with Autotech chip and Schrick cam. I miss those days.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
BTW, I think I want a VR6 volks! One head, and its a six. Not bad. Smoother than a 4. Compact design. Why don't more car makers do this?

Well, while VR6 will never be BMW inline six, it is by far the smoothest V configuration out there. Current 3.6 has angle of only 10.6 degrees and they will be using it in new VW Atlas.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Well, while VR6 will never be BMW inline six, it is by far the smoothest V configuration out there. Current 3.6 has angle of only 10.6 degrees and they will be using it in new VW Atlas.

and that engine has been out since 2006. Fortunately, it gets paired with an 8-speed automatic (probably an Aisin again) on the Atlas. which should help fuel economy

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: edyvw

and that engine has been out since 2006. Fortunately, it gets paired with an 8-speed automatic (probably an Aisin again) on the Atlas. which should help fuel economy

Yeah I know. I am contemplating Atlas if I need bigger vehicle then X5 due to family size increase.
I am nto that happy about 266 torque in naturally aspirated engine though. Driving it at 7-10000ft might be too much for that engine and that weight, especially coming from 425 torque.

I believe auto makers decided that using a turbo 4 was a less expensive way of doing things.

Back in 2002, when I got my Jetta 1.8T 180HP with 5 speed tiptronic, there were still a few early 12V VR6 models which had similar horsepower, but they were all more expensive that the 1.8T and had a 4 speed auto.

As for other reasons for VR6 engines being rare, why not ask Lancia. They used to have something similar to a VR6, but with 4 cylinders. Eventually they replaced it with conventional inline fours.

I also want a VR6, whenever I finally have the money, I will buy a Winnebago Rialta, they had VR6 engines at the same time that the Eurovan had VR6 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back