Extra desktop choice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, never thought I'd be back in the market for yet another desktop computer....

I have a little den area set up in my basement, and would really like a computer down there to hop on. I have laptops, but want a break from those. Wife got a brand new one a few months back, but she uses it quite a bit. An extra desktop would also allow me to bring work from my job if I needed to as well...

I'm looking for something cheap but quite solid (lets me rebuild my old Gateway again). We have Dell Optiplexes at work, and I like those. But I am open to suggestions. I've shopped amazon, Newegg and more...

Trying to keep it under a few hundred, as all it need to do is surf the net, Mircosoft Office, and maybe minecraft....

Keeping an open mind here....
cool.gif

See what you can get refurbished with an 4th generation or later i3/i5. I wouldn't worry about brand. 8GB of RAM will be smooth sailing.

Last edited:
There are a lot of Dell Precision T3500 or T5500 on ebay with Xeon processor for about $100-$150.
I know it is a 7 years old machine but that was $5000 when new and very powerful.
Get one that has at least 8MB of Ram and a lot comes with NVIDIA Quadro which is suitable for AutoCAD apps.

Some does not have HD, so you need to get those but HD are cheap for less than $100.

This is if you know how to minor build a computer like installing HD and may be an extra fan.

Last edited:
The internet is largely dependent on GPU acceleration. It would be really wise to at least purchase a Core i3 or AMD A6 APU powered rig as their integrated graphics are quite powerful.

Buy an inexpensive 240GB SSD (Like the PNY CS1311, OCZ Trion 150 or Crucial MX300) and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Build your own computer !! pick a really nice case, and you can keep upgrading as your needs change.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ to build your own system.

+1

Otherwise Ive been happy with HP stuff. Get good processor, upgrade ram and to an ssd and go!

I purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7110 sff from Dell about a year ago and paid a little more for cosmetics. Thing looks like it had never been used. Came with 7 and i3 processor. I replaced WD hard drive with a Crucial solid drive and I have had not had any problems. One of my better purchases.

Unfortunately building a custom computer doesn't return a good investment at the lower budget ranges when you factor in buying an operating system.

If you have plans to upgrade in the future it can be a better idea but if it's just web browsing I'd still recommend a quality refurbished unit at a bargain price

I would be looking at surplus business class computers; the sell DELLs in my town starting at $80. They are typically 4~5 years old, with Professional versions of the OS and robust networking support, and if you look back at what was being sold new in 2012, the power is considerable and certainly more than is needed for an eMail / Web Surfing machine.

Employees working on company files with an employee-owned machine is verbotten around here, but maybe data security is more lax at your employer.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Unfortunately building a custom computer doesn't return a good investment at the lower budget ranges when you factor in buying an operating system.

If you have plans to upgrade in the future it can be a better idea but if it's just web browsing I'd still recommend a quality refurbished unit at a bargain price

Agree from the start... But once you get a standardized form factor, then you can upgrade piee parts with lower subsequent replacement cost for better HW...

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I bought one very similar to this for my mom about 3 months ago.

HP Refurb model 8000 - $99

The one I got her has Windows 10 on it, but this is otherwise almost identical. They've got a ton of others with varying specs.

That one looks pretty solid!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Agreed...at one point I do want to build, but I need something to get by first....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back