08 Ford Fusion + battery cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter's first car. Previous owner had an amp or subwoofer mounted in the trunk and has the + battery cable butchered. Odd looking metal thing that is bent up has two large cables leading away to engine compartment. one cable goes to the starter towards front of the engine and other goes towards the firewall. This actually just sits on top of the battery post and can't be tightened. Never seen anything like it. Bendable and flimsy like tin. Then there is an actual clamp sitting on top of this metal on the battery post but it doesn't get very tight. this has two cables coming from it as well. One going to the trunk and the other to the fuse box. Anyway, it has been giving her problems starting since that [censored] tin like clamp on the bottom doesn't even fit tight and there is no way to tighten it. She knows to pop the hood and jiggle the connections to get it to start but what a pita. To get to the point can someone confirm that I need Motorcraft part # WC-96029 for this car? It is a 3.0 liter AWD Ford Fusion. Unless there is another way to repair it.

You can upload them from a smart phone or computer with the icon that has the blue upward arrow.

Also using an image hosting site works, just Google a guide for posting to image hosting

If you've already identified the issue and have the know how to replace the part, it sounds like you're just verifying the replacement part number? The best thing for that is to take your Vin to the Ford dealership and ask the parts guy. You don't have to buy it from him but it can help you make sure before you order.

IMG_1669.jpg
[/img]

Here is a [censored] picture I took tonight after work. I am charging the battery overnight because it is only at 9.6 volts. Thinking the bad connection might be suspect. You can see the tin-like piece of metal with a hole in it that was slid on the post first (currently disconnected). This has two cables coming off of it where one goes to the starter and not sure yet where the other one goes. When disconnected the car won't try to start. The other clamp that is on the battery post goes to the fuse box and also had the wire running back to the subwoofer in the trunk but I took that out of the clamp/terminal. Messy for sure! I think my best solution is checking the part # with a dealer as recommended and getting a new complete cable. Unless there is a cheaper fix? New cable looks to be around $80 if I am looking at the correct one. Thanks

How old is that car battery Wolfehunter?? If it is 3 years or so I would suggest just replacing the battery too. 9.6 volts is very low and I wonder if it will bounce back if it is going on 3 yrs old when that warranty runs out.

Not to mention if the former owner used the starting battery like a deep cycle battery then that starting battery is likely shot anyhow. Starting batteries are not meant to be run like real deep cycle batteries. If someone used that starting battery like that and put it through a good number of deep cycles then that starting battery has the potential to be permanently damaged.

Last edited:
Those terminals were call "Tsunami" battery terminals. They aren't bad if you know what you are doing and are usually meant to replace everything if you take the time to set them up right. Obviously someone here didn't.

I've also seen them sold only the name "DBLink"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back