Car stranded me on the highway today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i was planning on going to the bank today to open a CD but my Taurus decided i wasn't going to the bank. Put a thermostat in my taurus yesterday after work w/ no problems. Hoped in the car this afternoon to go to the bank and the car drove good through the neighborhood and as soon as i gave it gas to get up to speed on the ramp to the highway the car just started bucking and chucking and the engine light started flashing. Pulled over and called my dad to come get me and bring his code reader. Got a po305 & po306. Dad dropped me off at home so i could go out and get what i needed. Went to AAP and got 2 plugs. Went back to my car and put thr plugs in on the side of the highway. Still misfiring after i put them in so had no choice to drive it about 5 miles home. Went and got a wire set and the rest of the plugs. Put the wires on still missing, put the coil on and ran perfect. So $150 later and its back on the road.

Throw parts at it until it's fixed. You got lucky this time. Next time there'll be a broken wire buried inside a wiring bundle somewhere and no amount of parts throwing will fix it then.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Throw parts at it until it's fixed. You got lucky this time. Next time there'll be a broken wire buried inside a wiring bundle somewhere and no amount of parts throwing will fix it then.
is my beater car tried to put as little in it as possible.

Next time see if you have spark before just throwing parts. You probably could have found that one wasn't arcing if you tested them one at a time. I do understand being on the side of the road stuck you will do about anything to get moving again.

Either way it's fixed. Merkava is right though, sometimes you gotta get more creative or your wallet will take a beating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Next time see if you have spark before just throwing parts. You probably could have found that one wasn't arcing if you tested them one at a time. I do understand being on the side of the road stuck you will do about anything to get moving again.

Either way it's fixed. Merkava is right though, sometimes you gotta get more creative or your wallet will take a beating.
i dont like abandoning my cars anywhere. I just threw plugs at it so i could try to get it home. My tools to properly test everything was at work. Everything had been replaced before i bought the car (plugs,wires,and coil) but when i pulled the plugs they were for a regular ohv taurus, my taurus is a flex fuel vehicles which takes different plugs. So on the plus side i do got the right plugs in now, with new wires and a coil.

Last edited:
I still can't understand for even a second why you have er car when you have a 2015 Malibu. You've posted before how many miles you do in a year, it isn't much.

I'd rather not be stranded on the side of the highway.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: PolarisX

i dont like abandoning my cars anywhere. I just threw plugs at it so i could try to get it home. My tools to properly test everything was at work. Everything had been replaced before i bought the car (plugs,wires,and coil) but when i pulled the plugs they were for a regular ohv taurus, my taurus is a flex fuel vehicles which takes different plugs. So on the plus side i do got the right plugs in now, with new wires and a coil.

I would have tested by taking the plug out with the wire attached to see if it arched. Either way, at least you got the right plugs in now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I still can't understand for even a second why you have er car when you have a 2015 Malibu. You've posted before how many miles you do in a year, it isn't much.

I baby the [censored] out of my Malibu. The taurus i drive like a bat out of [censored] when i want.

Last edited:
I baby the [censored] out of my Malibu. The taurus i can drive like a bat out of [censored] when i want.

And get stranded on the side of the road by the Taurus. Outgrow the BooH thing, ditch the taurus and enjoy the Malibu.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I baby the [censored] out of my Malibu. The taurus i can drive like a bat out of [censored] when i want.

And get stranded on the side of the road by the Taurus. Outgrow the BooH thing, ditch the taurus and enjoy the Malibu.
thumbsup2.gif

I do enjoy the Malibu, i could just cruise across the country it all day any day in it. I spend all my extra money on the Malibu, my friends say i should marry it. The taurus is something i can a lil fun in.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

thumbsup2.gif

I do enjoy the Malibu, i could just cruise across the country it all day any day in it. I spend all my extra money on the Malibu, my friends say i should marry it. The taurus is something i can a lil fun in.

Sounds like an oxymoron. "Fun" in a Taurus.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I got confused after the 'going to the bank to open a CD' part. People still do that? What are they paying these days? Maybe turn $1000 into $1030 in three years?

Yup..Easter Egging is not the way to go. Usually what you "fixed" last will be the problem though.

The cheapest fix is always going to be the correct fix. That being said, the coilpack is the place to start if you want to throw ignition parts at an older Ford
smile.gif

Spending $150 and having something to show for it (new parts), doesn't sound bad to me. It could cost $100 just to have it towed, then a mechanic's fee for diagnosing the problem, Then parts with the mech's markup added to the bill, That could cost you well over $150 with no problem.,,

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

The cheapest fix is always going to be the correct fix. That being said, the coilpack is the place to start if you want to throw ignition parts at an older Ford
smile.gif

also the most expensive part. Lol

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Spending $150 and having something to show for it (new parts), doesn't sound bad to me. It could cost $100 just to have it towed, then a mechanic's fee for diagnosing the problem, Then parts with the mech's markup added to the bill, That could cost you well over $150 with no problem.,,

Thats what I was thinking too!

How much gas can you put in the Malibu if you sold the Taurus, no longer had to maintain it and no longer had to insure it?

Don't be afraid of putting miles on a new car - that's what they're meant for. Also, don't be afraid to "have fun" in it - once warmed up, wring it out - the engine doesn't care.

Take the cash from getting rid of the Taurus and put it into a mutual fund, not a CD (those barely keep up with inflation if you're lucky!)

Originally Posted By: surfstar
How much gas can you put in the Malibu if you sold the Taurus, no longer had to maintain it and no longer had to insure it?

Don't be afraid of putting miles on a new car - that's what they're meant for. Also, don't be afraid to "have fun" in it - once warmed up, wring it out - the engine doesn't care.

Take the cash from getting rid of the Taurus and put it into a mutual fund, not a CD (those barely keep up with inflation if you're lucky!)
Q1. What's a mutual fund and how does it work?

2. I spend about 20 bucks every two weeks on gas and about 20-25 a month on insurance on the Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back