Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Pop as a Walmart greeter...

crackmeup2.gif
So true!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Pets are meant to be at home. Enough dog attacks as it is. Despite the opinions posted here, a human comes before a pet anyday and everyday.

Since when are dogs only "meant to be home"?? And I fail to grasp the "human comes before a pet" comment in this context.

No offense...but you sound like a rather harsh individual. In my experience, thos that feel similar to you about dogs, are to be kept at a distance.

You fail to grasp the concept. What is meant by that, is that dogs shouldnt be in a grocery store posing a risk toward others. Animals are called animals for a reason, and no matter how well you think you know your pet, you cant predict if they will cause injury to another person. I love dogs and cats but at the end of the day I will stand up for human rights vs animal rights if they are placed against each other.(like this circumstance)

Pets are meant to be at home. Enough dog attacks as it is. Despite the opinions posted here, a human comes before a pet anyday and everyday.

Since when are dogs only "meant to be home"?? And I fail to grasp the "human comes before a pet" comment in this context.

No offense...but you sound like a rather harsh individual. In my experience, thos that feel similar to you about dogs, are to be kept at a distance.

You fail to grasp the concept. What is meant by that, is that dogs shouldnt be in a grocery store posing a risk toward others. Animals are called animals for a reason, and no matter how well you think you know your pet, you cant predict if they will cause injury to another person. I love dogs and cats but at the end of the day I will stand up for human rights vs animal rights if they are placed against each other.(like this circumstance)

This. We have a dog, and love him as a member of the family. That being said, my wife and kids supersede my awesome dog everyday of the week. When the world ends and we run of food, that dog is gonna be a tasty meal.

Last month my kid was at our neighborhood playground, playing with other children as I sat on a bench. A large breed dog (maybe a mastiff mix) not on a leash ran at my 3 year old son, tackled him to the ground and was dragging him around by the shirt. When my kid tried to get back up, the dog jumped on him pushing him to the ground and dragging him around. By this time I made it over, separated the dogs mouth from my son's torn shirt (the dog was still trying to go after my son I don't know if it was a prey drive thing) I pushed the dog down and pinned him with my leg. By this time I heard the owner (a thin woman) yelling and running over to us, when I looked up she was still about 50 meters away. When she came over, she put him back on the leash and apologized vehemently. I was upset and could only manage one sentence to her. "Keep your dog on a leash." I picked my kid up and walked home. Nothing but scratches and a torn shirt. The reason I didn't pull my gun out is because children were within 10ish meters of me, and I was able to immediately separate the dog from my son. If I would have not been able to separate them that dog would have been terminated. Glad I didn't, laws aside, my kid might have been traumatized.

Last edited:
Reference the comments on service dogs:

During my forced retirement from my first career, I was offered a service dog. They gave me a brief on them, and brought some to the hospital. They were amazing, trained very well and calm. They are required to have certain skills. The one who was with me would put himself between me and other people, and kinda nudge people away thus giving me more room. He would know if I was nervous or I froze, then he would touch my leg letting me know he was there. He knew when it was time for me to eat or take meds. Great dog. He was the most well behaved dog I had ever seen. If I remember correctly they had invested over $20,000+ dollars in training them. In the end I declined, due to not being ready to take on more responsibility (afraid of neglect). I miss that dog.

Last edited:
A dog could absolutely care less about beIng in a store. It's owner insecurities or mental illness that believe they need to be with them constantly.

I don't see where I "failed" any "concept". I get it...you don't think dogs should be in grocery stores nor any other place where they interfere with curmudgeonly folks that think canines belong only at home.
Sad attitude really...especially for the dog.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
A dog could absolutely care less about beIng in a store. It's owner insecurities or mental illness that believe they need to be with them constantly.

Some people are highly insecure. I don't doubt that. But to correlate that people that enjoy time with a beloved pet as such is pretty lame. Yes, some dog people are nutjobs, but wanting to have your dog hang out with you now and then doesn't make one a mental case.

I don't see where I "failed" any "concept". I get it...you don't think dogs should be in grocery stores nor any other place where they interfere with curmudgeonly folks that think canines belong only at home.

The reasons for animals being prevented from being in areas which serve food, and sell groceries I completely understand.

However also when you are a patron at a business in general you as a customer shouldn't have to be subjected to animals which are often times intrusive, and at worst potentially harmful, whether to adults or children.

I actually like dogs, however I understand that others shouldn't be subjected to my pet if they don't want to be. That is why there are still thankfully rules about pets in businesses.

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who

The reasons for animals being prevented from being in areas which serve food, and sell groceries I completely understand.

However also when you are a patron at a business in general you as a customer shouldn't have to be subjected to animals which are often times intrusive, and at worst potentially harmful, whether to adults or children.

I actually like dogs, however I understand that others shouldn't be subjected to my pet if they don't want to be. That is why there are still thankfully rules about pets in businesses.

I have no problem with any business deciding to not allow dogs inside. It's up to them 100%. But with that sort of mindset, some businesses could lose patrons. Certainly not grocery stores or restaurants though. My opinion is that I've never had any dog worry or irritate me in any place of business.....and I would have no problem if more places allowed pets. But people....including children...have caused me much more irritation and concern than any dog has in a place of business.

I take my dog everywhere she's allowed. I don't take to Wally's because they sell food and would be a health code violation. Some people avoid my dog because she's a big German Shepherd, but I am as considerate to others as possible. I think more businesses should be dog friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back