2nd car insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

This is probably a dumb question to most of you but I've never owened a 2nd car. My first car, fully insured. I'm getting back my 99 Grand Am from my sister who I sold it to a few years back. The car is basically worthless, blue book of $294, got 160,000 on the clock.

Do I need to insure it? I don't care if I get in an accident and it totals it. It's worth $300 and it'll cost me more than that to insure it. But would my insurance cover an accident that I cause if I were in the grand am?

It has to be insured. That's for in the event you have an at fault accident, it's called liability accident. If your brakes fail, you fall asleep at the wheel, change lanes and have a blind spot and bump into someone, you've got to have insurance.

You've got a new car, just sell the old jalopy.

KBB values don't mean much on an old car, if it runs and drives it's worth at least $800.

I used to work auto liability for a major insurance company. Liability only is what it needs. That'll cover your butt if you are in an at fault accident. Your current insurance has NO coverage for the Grand Am; if you were at fault you'd be exposed for whatever they could sue you for. Insure it w/liability, or sell it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It has to be insured. That's for in the event you have an at fault accident, it's called liability accident. If your brakes fail, you fall asleep at the wheel, change lanes and have a blind spot and bump into someone, you've got to have insurance.

You've got a new car, just sell the old jalopy.

KBB values don't mean much on an old car, if it runs and drives it's worth at least $800.

I would sell it but it was my first car and my sisters first car and I got it originally from my Grandma. So it's like a member of the family. I drive a lot so I'm going to use the ol' clunker till it dies completely to keep some miles off the new one.

So let's say I'm driving my girlfriends car, also a 2017 Elantra like me, and I fall asleep at the wheel and sincerely offend a pole, who insurance pays for that? Or if I go left of center and hit someone?

But yes sir, insured it will be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt

I would sell it but it was my first car and my sisters first car and I got it originally from my Grandma. So it's like a member of the family. I drive a lot so I'm going to use the ol' clunker till it dies completely to keep some miles off the new one.

Good plan....

So let's say I'm driving my girlfriends car, also a 2017 Elantra like me, and I fall asleep at the wheel and sincerely offend a pole, who insurance pays for that? Or if I go left of center and hit someone?

Girlfriend's car...depends on the state. In some states the insurance follows the car, in other states the insurance follows the driver. Check with your insurance agent.

I don't know about the insurance in your state, but I get a slight discount for having a 2nd car, I think about 10%. It sounds like you probably want to drop collision and comprehensive, but you still want full regular insurance.

Please,please please get liability coverage, other wise you expose your self to thousands of $ and you could lose your home and other assets.

Usually insurance goes with the car, not the driver. Unless you get a non-owner insurance for yourself, then any car you drive would be covered. I heard that's really expensive however, and if you own your car it is not worth getting non-owner insurance.

If you are accident free, a liability only insurance should only be around $200-400 a year.

I hold an insurance license for Ohio. Yes you must have liabilty insurance to drive vehicle on public roads. You do not have to have comprehensive or collision insurance if you do not feel the car is worth it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Usually insurance goes with the car...

"Usually" is correct but some states it doesn't. I never worked Ohio claims so was not sure.

You need liability insurance.
Price out full coverage. With discounts, you may find it worth it.
I carried full coverage on my 2000 Taurus until I sold it in December 2012.
With discounts, it was $60/year. Given that I spent 2.5 hours a day in the car and it was a nice enough car, it was worth $5/month to me.
I would also use the opportunity to shop your insurance.
Find a good independent agent and price Erie as well.

Do I need to insure it?

Yes, any car that you drive on public roads must be insured. The bare minimum is liability insurance which would cover the damages that you cause to others and others' property.

A 2nd car gets you a multi car discount which is sometimes 10-20%.

I know a person with shifty insurance agent who registered/bare minimum insured a non operating car at junkyard to get said discount. In our state insurance is not required so you get inexpensive policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back