Toyota long life coolant really last that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tacoma with 1GRFE V6 engine uses Toyota's long life coolant. Recommended replacement schedule is first at 100K miles then subsequent changes at 60K miles.

At the rate I'm driving the coolant will be over 10 years old by 100K miles.

From what I've read on this forum, I get the impression that coolant life is age-bound rather than mile-bound because of the continuous nature of chemical oxidation.

What is your thought? Should I change it earlier? For what it's worth the engine has an aluminum block and cast iron cylinder sleeves, so there is the potential for redox couples.

Last edited:
Every 5 years if your talking about age of coolant.

If you happen to have a mix of types your inhibitors would not be as effective thus necessitating a change earlier.

Last edited:
Not familiar with this engine, but how easy is it to perform the service?

For example, can you just do a drain/fill on the radiator even if that only swaps half the fluid, but takes much less effort than the full "proper" procedure? Then if it's trivial just do that half-measure earlier.

Last edited:
Most modern coolants are some type of OAT/HOAT and are rated for something like 5 years / 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. As I understand it, Toyota coolant falls under this umbrella.

For the vast majority of drivers, the 5-year mark will come long before the 150,000 mile mark does. You'd have to drive over 30,000 miles / year to hit the 150,000 miles before 5 years is up. I drive that much, but most don't..

Change it out at 5 years.

Note that some cars have gone 5+ years on regular coolant without any problems, so imagine how long coolant can go when the manufacturer states long life.

I have maintained many older cars of the years and I haven't had any coolant problems or any visible signs of coolant breakdown/corrosion in the past twenty years. Something has greatly improved relative to cars of 40 years ago. I would say the coolant in this Toyota will last the ten years easily. Just keep an eye on the color of the coolant in the expansion tank for signs of a problem.

I have yet to see any ill effects from not replacing coolant. I have seen many cars with Nissan Blue, Toyota Pink or Honda Blue at high mileage with the original coolant and have no issues at all.

On many Toyota these days, you'll be replacing the water pump due to seepage before the coolant change interval becomes relevant.

To me, coolant and power steering fluids are two of the lowest priority fluids to replace.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Most modern coolants are some type of OAT/HOAT and are rated for something like 5 years / 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. As I understand it, Toyota coolant falls under this umbrella.

For the vast majority of drivers, the 5-year mark will come long before the 150,000 mile mark does. You'd have to drive over 30,000 miles / year to hit the 150,000 miles before 5 years is up. I drive that much, but most don't..

Change it out at 5 years.

5 years it is then.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
The Tacoma with 1GRFE V6 engine uses Toyota's long life coolant. Recommended replacement schedule is first at 100K miles then subsequent changes at 60K miles.

At the rate I'm driving the coolant will be over 10 years old by 100K miles.

From what I've read on this forum, I get the impression that coolant life is age-bound rather than mile-bound because of the continuous nature of chemical oxidation.

What is your thought? Should I change it earlier? For what it's worth the engine has an aluminum block and cast iron cylinder sleeves, so there is the potential for redox couples.

From my 2005 Tacoma service schedule. My Tacoma came from the factory with the "super long life" coolant (pink). It says 100K miles or 120 months (10 years). Your service schedule should show something similar.

Just recently did a D+F of the radiator on a 2002 Tundra; 90K and 8 years on Toyota Red.

Coolant 'looked good' (not really a measure) but the radiator did too.

It is up for a TB replacement

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
NOT, I repeat, NOT a bit better than Zerex Asian Car coolant. Ashland probably makes the OEM overpriced pink stuff.

In Asian Zerex better than OEM Toyota long life coolant? Do you have a link for info?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
NOT, I repeat, NOT a bit better than Zerex Asian Car coolant. Ashland probably makes the OEM overpriced pink stuff.

In Asian Zerex better than OEM Toyota long life coolant? Do you have a link for info?

I use Zerex! It is not cheap. But highly rated for Toyotas!

For the wife's Lexus RX330 I bought a gallon of the pink stuff to top off. I think it was long life but don't recall how long.

My Hyundai calls for 1st coolant change at 120k. I had it done at 105k because I was having the plugs changed and wasn't about to go back in 15k which isn't long with my 2 hour highway commute. I couldn't do anything at the time as surgery really limited me for some time.

As far as the Toyota coolant, from what I've gathered the red stuff is called "Long Life" and the pink stuff is called "Super Long Life" by Toyota.

does anyone here mix up the Toyota Coolant (Pink fluid) with coolant additive (Redline Water wetter or Amsoil Dominator Coolant or Royal Purple - Purple Ice?

is that good for addition? i live in tropic season country which is the temp around 25 - 38 degress Celcius.

Originally Posted By: nyumski
does anyone here mix up the Toyota Coolant (Pink fluid) with coolant additive (Redline Water wetter or Amsoil Dominator Coolant or Royal Purple - Purple Ice?

is that good for addition? i live in tropic season country which is the temp around 25 - 38 degress Celcius.

Don't do it - WaterWetter and its like are meant for race track use only with straight water - glycol on the track can create a dangerous situation.

Leave the coolant as-is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back