Silverado vs F150 vs Tundra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I sold the 5th wheel trailer and downsized so have no real use for the 2500HD Duramax now. Looking at used full size crew cab 4wd gas trucks, $20-25k. It looks like of the 3 listed you get the newest/lowest mileage with Ford, Silverado next, Tundra last. I'm pretty much a GM guy but after 3 GM extended cab trucks in a row it might be time to try something else. And spousal unit says no more suicide doors. I know the 5.3 pretty well, the Ford 5.4 and Toyota 5.7 not so much, only the spark plug problems with the Ford and poor mileage with the Tundra. Ram and Titan not on the table, won't go there. Looking for experience with newer F150s and Tundras, likes, dislikes, whatever.

thanks

If you are looking at F150's with the 5.4, you will be buying a 2010 or older. In general, an engine that will get the job done, won't win any races, and isn't all that easy on fuel. It can tow fine though (not "fast", but fine), and doesn't mind being "worked".

That being said, the usual issues are the spark plug removals (definitely an issue through the 2007 trucks, not sure after that), and cam phasers. These engines have always been a bit on the noisy side, and some ticking type noises are normal. If it totally sounds like a diesel at idle, then the cam phasers are shot, and that is part of why I sold my '04 F150. Otherwise, being in AZ, I don't think watching for rust in the usual places is an issue...

In general, I liked my '04 F150, but newer trucks blow it out of the water.

No comment on the other two brands, but I wouldn't be afraid to buy either based on condition if the price was right...

I have 90,000 miles on my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3. Overall it's been good with no major issues. If you end up looking at used 2014+ GM 1/2 tons just make sure you take a high speed test drive. Some trucks vibrate pretty bad between 70-80 MPH. On a GM truck forum I visit regularly it seems most that have this problem really struggle trying to fix it.

Unless your buying a pre-aluminum body Ford, id stick with GM. Ive heard on good authority (very good authority) that Ford may end up back with steel bodies...and have the plans in place...im sure our current presidents review of the CAFE laws will be a factor. If they stick to aluminum, ill never own another Ford...which saddens me deeply.

Don't get me wrong...id rather have a composite body or even fiberglass than steel. Unfortunately I know enough about aluminum and had enough experience with it in automotive applications that I will never own another vehicle with aluminum panels.

Been a while; I think I have older threads summarizing the Tundra.

in 2007 they did an overhaul, and made what you can buy today. In 2014 they did a gen 2.5--it's new sheetmetal, new interior--but same drivetrain. Hence the point 5 designation. Pre 2007 was a different, smaller beast which I'm guessing you don't want.

I'm assuming you don't want V6 (I wouldn't). 2007-2009 had the 4.7L V8, good motor if not a bit low on power. Timing belt and 5 speed automatic are drawbacks. 2010+ use 4.6L for a base motor; pinch more power but more importantly a six speed auto, which bumped mpg. And gained a timing chain. 2007+ have the 5.7L for the top engine. The 4.6/5.7 can have issues with water pumps; air injection pumps are a big issue, or at least used to be (and they ain't cheap). Front differential was a problem too, although they all should have been fixed by now (bad bearing preload, so it was only a few years, but my 2010 was bit by it, around 80kmiles). Transmission is a "sealed" unit but did a fluid change and it wasn't that bad, IMO. And it's an Aisin unit, and Aisin is usually good.

If you do get the 4.6, do yourself a favor and get the towing package. It comes with slightly deeper gearing, which the 4.6 needs. But do yourself a bigger favor and get the 5.7. I've never driven one, largely because I don't want to depress myself as to what I'm missing.

Personally I'm ok with the rest of my truck. I have a 2010 so it's pre the redo; and I like it that way. I've got the bench seat up front, plain gray cloth interior, column shifter. 4 doors and a 6.5' bed. Works for me, but I suspect adults won't like the back seat that much (my kids are small enough that they don't care). That said, I doubt anyone else would like it. The TPMS system is stupid; it just lights up the dash if a sensor is off. No individual tire read out. No DIC to tell you exact engine temp etc (I don't even have the mpg readout, but it was an option on the higher trims). Towing capacity may be decent but payload is low. VSC/TC is awful, it takes nothing to engage and cut power--it's the first thing I turn off if I'm driving in snow. As a result it desperately needs snow tires in snow. I don't have a backup camera but I believe that is standard now. mpg... let's not discuss that, eh? it may be a truck but last I knew Tundra trailed the pack in unloaded mpg (loaded they all seem to head to the same single digits).

Don't want to talk you out of changing trucks, but...

Do you own the duramax?

What's it worth?

How many miles?

I think Id love a duramax pickup, which with the right mods (tonneau cover, the right tires, etc) can probably return as good MPGs as any of the trucks you mention... While being longer lasting mechanically, and probably holding its value better over the next few years.

If you are a GM guy. GM or Toyota, not Ford. GM and Toytoa are kinda on the same page in their truck philosophy. GM/Toyota money they spend goes into the "mechanical truck" rather than the -creature-oriented cab (Ford -and Dodge/Ram -spends money there). Not that this is "bad" just different. Does that make sense? So if you are used to GM, then Toyota would feel similar but Ford/Ram will give you a better cab experience but you will wonder why other places are a bit cheaper.

Our family buys GM farm trucks. I buy mostly Ford/Chrysler for the fleet (and mostly minivans/E-Series and Transits because we move people mostly). After experience with both and being a GM truck/import car person I still prefer GM trucks but I am now more open to Ford cars if going domestic for the fleet. Not that Ford truck are bad, but there is definitely a feeling that Ford is gunning towards a price-point in spots (could also be my fleet purchases too). The 5.4 is a good engine but it is one that needs work but will get high-miles. he engine will run but you will be replacing water pumps, alternators, etc a bit more than GM. Just expect to part-swap a bit more along the way. The opposite side to that is that when GM does fail, it tend to blow up more than the Ford (bleed you to death). Still better than Chrysler which does both! Ha!

My question....why downsize? You are only really downsizing the engine (to a degree... among other thing) but the difference between daily the 2500 and a 1500 is not as great as you might hope. I doubt the mileage savings will be all that much more than the transaction cost. My inlaws "small" cattle truck '09 2500 Chevy with the 6.6 is over 200K. I would tell him to buy a small commuter car for around town rather than downsize his truck (he DD the thing). Still, he can get upper teens overall for his mpg when not towing.

Given your price range, I would think you'd be looking at 5.0L and EcoBoost F-150's, not the 5.4L. The 5.0L likes to wind, and is a bit soft down low. Gets better gas mileage than the 5.4L however. The EcoBoost is extremely torquey and if driven conservatively, can get better mileage than both of them.

We've got one F-150 left in the fleet at work here. it is a 2012 IIRC 5.0L XLT. It has been a good truck, save some issues with the hanger bearing assembly. It tows a camper regularly every summer for the guy who operates it and no complaints as to how it works in that role.

As noted, 2010 and earlier F150's will have the 5.4. 2011-2014 will have either the 5.0 V8 or the 3.5 Ecoboost. Both are good engines. I've driven a few 5.0 equipped trucks and agree with overkill - a bit soft on the low end, but they don't mind revving.

Frankly, if I were looking at a used Ford with the money you've mentioned, I'd focus on a 2011 or up to not get the 5.4. (And I say that as someone who owned them before).

There are quite a few ex-diesel owners (on the truck boards) who are dissatisfied with their gas motor purchases. UNLESS-your going to go with a shorter bed-and reduce the overall length, I would just keep your truck.

Your wise to stay away from the Titan-the reviews have not been kind.

Just keep it unless someone will pay a ton of money for your nice diesel. That would be the only reason to sell it: People are paying crazy money for pre-dpf duramax and cummins trucks.

I replaced the 5er with a hardside pop-up to get back to our camping roots, at 2600 lbs dry the Duramax is severe overkill, not to mention higher costs to run and repair. And of course it rides like a 3/4 ton. We're going to do some camping with it but it still has some value and seems like a good time to move to something newer. The mid-size trucks with V6s would probably get the job done in a leisurely way but not sure we could tolerate winding it out on the uphills we have here. Thanks for the replies so far.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Just keep it unless someone will pay a ton of money for your nice diesel. That would be the only reason to sell it: People are paying crazy money for pre-dpf duramax and cummins trucks.

Yeah, it's the LBZ engine, no DEF or soot box.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Don't want to talk you out of changing trucks, but...

Do you own the duramax?

What's it worth?

How many miles?

I think Id love a duramax pickup, which with the right mods (tonneau cover, the right tires, etc) can probably return as good MPGs as any of the trucks you mention... While being longer lasting mechanically, and probably holding its value better over the next few years.

Very good point....the least expensive vehicle is the one you already own, right? No loss on trade or new vehicle. Even though you have no need of the towing ability, it's still a solid pickup.

However if you're considering Ford, I'd skip the 5.4 and go straight to the 5.0 if you're going V8. The 2011-2014 F150 is in your price range; I'd spend a bit more and go with a '13 and up, they'd worked the bugs out of everything by then:

https://www.carmax.com/search#Distance=a...4&Zip=97008

Good luck with your decision!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
You may regret getting rid of a LBZ!!

I know but it's like using a sledgehammer to drive nails. We're not in a rush and it's not going to lose value until we decide what to do. Besides having a truck more in line with what we need it's also about moving up 4 or 5 years for a small amount of money and deferring the nickel and dime old truck stuff. We're not 10 year/ 200k vehicle owners, usually after around 5 or 6 we're just ready for something different. Not the case this time, I really like the truck but there are more logical choices to consider.

Really appreciate the sensible detailed replies that you rarely get on a fanboi forum.

I would try and find a GM with the 6.2L :) I picked my 2011 up in 2013 with 50,000 miles for $25K.

They are very hard to find, but they are out there! You will never be wanting for power, and if you are easy on the throttle, you get really decent mileage. When I DD mine I can average 14 to 15mpg during my 9 mile commute on E85 (17 to 18 on premium). Sustained road trips can crack low 20's on premium.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
You may regret getting rid of a LBZ!!

I know but it's like using a sledgehammer to drive nails. We're not in a rush and it's not going to lose value until we decide what to do. Besides having a truck more in line with what we need it's also about moving up 4 or 5 years for a small amount of money and deferring the nickel and dime old truck stuff. We're not 10 year/ 200k vehicle owners, usually after around 5 or 6 we're just ready for something different. Not the case this time, I really like the truck but there are more logical choices to consider.

Really appreciate the sensible detailed replies that you rarely get on a fanboi forum.

I like the sledgehammer analogy
thumbsup2.gif
If you have any question about the '13-'14 F150 I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back